VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there something special about this card that the 4.13.7192 drivers won't work with it? I ended up googling "ATI Rage 128 GL PCI drivers" and came across some random driver site that had a driver archive called 'Win98.zip". They turned out to be version 4.11.6110 and they worked perfectly. Great, but I wonder what is the latest driver that works with this card, without having to test all of them manually. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATI's GL series were made for professionals (CAD/CAM and so on). Perhaps it has a different ID because of this and only certified drivers will work with it.
Anyway, I don't know of the latest drivers either. I hope someone can help us (another Rage 128 user here!) 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, thanks for the info Jo22. All I'm doing at the moment is benchmarking, so I'll make do with the 4.11.6110. But for the record, here's what happens when I try to install the 4.13.7192 drivers:
-the install completes, I reboot the PC, and it hangs at the Win98 splash screen. If I reboot to Safe Mode and go to Device Manager, it says my video card is an Xpert 128. So that is what the 7192's are thinking this card is.

I used Speedsys to ID this card as "Rage 128 GL SD" which I'm guessing is short for SDRAM.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are welcome! 😀 Wait, here's a link..

ATI RAGE 128 Next Generation 3D and Multimedia Accelerator
("RAGE 128 GL for OpenGL Workstations and high-end entertainment PCs")
http://dmarton.tripod.com/rage128.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are so many variants of the Rage 128 cards out there, was a pain getting on 128 pro ultra 32mb working, eventually got working drivers from dell, but still had to do a little edit to one of the files, the card has a different vendor / device id that isn't covered by the official drivers, so they'd not work.

Reply 5 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Turns out the Rage 128 GL PCI is pretty slow. A lot slower than the Rage 128 Pro AGP. 😲
3dmark99 1024x768x16bpp: Pro-4246; GL-3186
3dmark99 1024x768x32bpp: Pro-3150; GL-1572