VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to bend some pins while trying to put it in but none of them are squashed, they all seem to be making contact when I insert it in the socket. It won't power up, the only two things I can think of is that it was doa or that it needs 5 volts, not 3. It seems like I may as well try to run it at 5 but will it blow anything apart from the cpu?

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you perhaps see if there is a part number or serial number "printed" somewhere on the CPU?
It should have a permanently attached heatsink.

However, based on what I've read up, the 50 MHz CPU (not the DX2-50 CPU) was only released as a 5V CPU.
This CPU was also very uncommon (like its AMD & Intel counterparts), since its 50 MHz bus speed did not behave well in many motherboards.
You will most likely have to apply wait states to your memory and VL-bus (if you have VL-bus slots).
If you have PCI slots, check for a divider option in your BIOS setup, since you don't want to run your PCI cards at 50 MHz.
The same applies to your ISA slots (for ISA, you should select a divider of 6 at a 50 MHz bus speed or just "force" it to run at 7.19 MHz).

Reply 3 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also check your motherboard speed settings. For testing the CPU you can select safe speed of 33MHz and the CPU will run at 33MHz.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is a older style 486 as in there is no clock doubling then it is certainly a 5v chip, the 3v models came a bit later in the life of the platform.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The borderline from 5volt to 3.3volt cpus begins from the 486 DX2 66 mhz processor..
But a 50mhz one is certainly a 5v or 4 volt processor.

~ At least it can do black and white~