VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This new build ain't going to well. First the 9800GX2 decides to buy it and starts acting up (namely it got so hot in 5 minutes of BIOs i went to check a sata cable and visibly burned my hand on the side of it).

Since then I haven't been able to get Windows to load from the install I had running (NTFS.sys Bluescreen, which is why i was checking aforementioned SATA cable for damage), it won't POST half the time ("- -" no beep or video), and the last couple of times it gave the POST beep there was no video (The card was good last night, the system literally hadn't been touched since the night before). Here's a quick timeline of when things went haywire.

1. Installed 9800GX2 and EVGA 500W 80+ White PSU, added 5 more hard drives, installed E8400
2. Played 8 or so hours of various games, hardware decoded a bunch of Motley Crue music videos
3. Left it plugged in overnight (I know, I really shouldnt have done that with hardware this old)
4. Left sitting overnight, next day incosistently refusing to POST. At first I got "- -", reseating all the add in boards fixed it that time, 5 minutes later the 9800GX2 overheated (a bit of bios usage, windows start up repair attempt) bad enough to visibly burn my hand, switched it out for the 9800GTX+ (55nm die shrink) I had in it before. After that it was POST'ing consistantly but the windows install that worked the night before still wont load. It was so late i decided against restalling windows.
5. Enter today, at first I'm getting POST beeps with no video so I try reseating the GPU again. and now I can't get it to post at all. Tried reseating every part except the CPU (That CPU is battle tested + its VERY secure so i doubt it came loose), Tried a different power supply just in case the 9800GX2 blew out the EVGA, no change. Just "- -" on the onboard diag LEDs.

All i can think of that (shouldnt) could be an issue is i have 2 pet cats that keep sleeping ontop of the PC. I dont think they could conduct enough electricity to static shock from the case down to the board. Literally this machine has just been getting worse and worse night after night without any human interaction. I've never seen a PC go down hill like this before.

CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced case
EVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus White
6GB RAM (2x2GB Crucial 1067 + 2x1GB Hynix 667)
Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ (No OC, I'm aware of the VRM burn out issues with this board)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
5 Hard Disks (2 Laptop Drives, 320GB + 80GB, and 3 Desktop Drives, 2x 80GB + 500GB)

Any idea where to proceed from here? I checked the manual and that LED code isn't listed. I'm seriously hoping this board isn't dead as much money as it cost me.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1 of 1, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd wager the PSU isn't strong enough for a 9800gx2. I'm pretty sure for that setup you need at least a 650w 80+ PSU... Nvidia does list a couple of 500w psus, but I've been unable to get two 9800 GTX's in SLi to post with my enermax NAXN 550w. http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2_pwr_supply.html Try using another PSU. If you don't have one try to see if the machine will post with a dinky video card (preferably PCI-E).