VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own a basic Coolmax ATX power supply tester and it shows the various voltages as well as the PG "Power Good" delay of the power supply being tested.

I frequently come across power supplies that work fine, even ones that are unused, that seemingly "fail" the PG test. Apparently this tester will display HH (high) if the PG value is above 500ms. The website says 990ms is the limit, but I actually have a PSU that fluctuates a bit with every power on in the 470-500 range and sometimes will display HH, telling me that it goes slightly above 500 and triggers the error. I've read that 500ms is supposed to be the upper limit according to the ATX 2.01 standard.

Basically, I'm wondering how big of a deal this is. I have several brand new Seasonic 350ET (and one 550HT) units that display this error on my cheap tester. They are all 80plus white or bronze rated, purchased as "new old stock", completely unused, dust free and still smell like new electronics. The voltages on the tester are either perfect or are off by less than -0.2v, on every one of these. 5 out of 20 units give the PG HH error.

Everything I've read about this value makes it not seem that significant on its own. Basically, the power supply tells the motherboard when its voltages have stabilized and it is ready to come on, so that the computer isn't trying to operate with insufficient power. Unless the PG value is "faked", I don't see the danger in this value being slightly high, as it is still preventing the system from operating unsafely. Seasonic certainly isn't going to fake this value, especially on any decent 80plus units. Of course, it could be said that if the value isn't within the 500ms spec, there's got to be something causing it... but again, there's so many of these with this "problem" and they are otherwise fine. If I bought a brand new, retailed boxed item, sure I'd contact the manufacturer just to ask what's going on... but anything that's a few years old (used or not)... who cares?

... what is the consensus here?

I'm also going to email Seasonic to get their take on the issue.

IMO, this is kind of a big deal, because we want our systems fed with reliable power but we've reached a point where there are so many unused, unpurchased high quality power supplies floating around out there for dirt cheap, that its almost crazy not to buy these for a fraction of the cost of identical brand new units. For example, I just bought 10 brand new, unused Seasonic 350ET power supplies for $80 shipped. That's a $40 unit for $8. I'm far more likely to use an $8 power supply in a cobbled retro system than I am a brand new $40 unit... but should I worry about the PG signal?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've wondered the same. On a related note, I wonder how much we can rely on these PSU testers (I've got a couple I use myself)? I don't think they put any load on the PSU, so it seems they only serve to give a very basic indicator of the rails being within spec.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

I've wondered the same. On a related note, I wonder how much we can rely on these PSU testers (I've got a couple I use myself)? I don't think they put any load on the PSU, so it seems they only serve to give a very basic indicator of the rails being within spec.

I have had power supplies that completely fail voltage tests with my tester unless I have a load on them, I think I used a hard drive and something else... didn't have to use a motherboard.

I have a PC Power and Cooling "Turbo Cool" 300W ATX unit from the late 90s that does this. I thought it was DOA when I got it (it was used), but it is perfectly fine once it has a load on it. Sadly, its extremely loud for my tastes. I'm spoiled by newer, nearly-silent designs. I'm sure it was a great PSU back in the day, but I regretted buying it after hearing how loud it was (it was $13, but who knows how old it is). I meant to use it for a beefy retro system that needed a strong +5v rail and possible -5v. If it was possible to use a quieter fan in one of these, I'd do it, but I don't know how hot these old inefficient units get, and I'd probably be more inclined to just use a newer PSU that had enough on the +5v to run whatever system. The PSUs I've been buying have either 20a on the +5v (350ET) or 30A (550HT), which leaves little reason to use an older unit.

EDIT: Just tested a few of my Seasonic units with a load (I figured a Quantum Bigfoot would be plenty) and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the PG signal. I didn't expect it to, but it was worth a try.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2016-11-04, 20:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose that there might be certain PSU failure modes for which taking a long time to reach "power good" is an early symptom of impending failure (or maybe reduced maximum current). But if the voltages are good and the system is stable, I'd be inclined not to worry about it. It's probably not a part of the spec that PSU manufacturers spend a lot of effort to get right.

Reply 4 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any new thoughts on this?

My sister's computer (used to be an HTPC of mine years ago) has a Seasonic 350W 80Plus micro-ATX PSU that is showing PG HH. This power supply was installed in 2011 I believe, when the original Sparkle unit died.

The computer seemingly has no problems other than one quirk. When you shut the system down properly (Windows 10) and then you cut off the power, either with the PSU switch, the surge protector or pulling the plug, it will always turn back on immediately when power is returned. I've turned off everything related to system waking, return power states and anything else I found as a common cause of this problem. The specs are:
ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G)
Phenom II 840T
Geforce GT 520
4x2GB low profile Samsung DDR2-800
Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD (only a few months old)
Western Digital Blue 2TB (only a few months old)

... I'm sort of hijacking my own thread, but I figure its worth asking whether the high PG delay might be related. Visual inspection inside the PSU shows the usual high build quality of Seasonic and no signs of heat or visible bad caps.