VOGONS

First post, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

I know that most people here are into oldschool hardware side of things most of the time, but lately i'm finding myself interested into making a really, really small retrogaming computer for retrogaming. And as for retrogaming i mean games and software from 1998 to 2004.

A Rasperberry Pi, LattePanda and UpBoard are creditcard computers, being the last two x86 based cpus which makes it even more interesting!

Has any of you had any sort of experience with gaming from 1998 to 2004 with these devices, and how does it perform when compared to contemporary (gpu wise, since cpu on almost all of them is more than enough).

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 1 of 11, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're referring to running DOS/Win9x on the bare hardware in the case of the x86 boards, looks to me like the biggest challenge would be getting SB-compatible sound.

Otherwise, DOSBOX is an option.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think the raspberry pi is fast enough to emulate what you want to have. It's already struggling with DOSbox

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 11, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

I don't think the raspberry pi is fast enough to emulate what you want to have. It's already struggling with DOSbox

Well there are beefier ARM SBCs that are RPi compatible. I've had some experience with the Odroid C2, DOSBOX works fine in a pinch but I haven't done extensive testing with that. I played with an OrangePi as well, almost as powerful as the Odroid but cheaper - didn't try DOSBOX on it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the latest Raspberry Pi model, DOSBox will do just fine emulating ~386 speeds, maybe slow 486. Anything faster, you'd have to have a beefier CPU or it'd have to be x86 so dynamic translation can be applied.

Edit: There's also rpix86, which is optimized for the Raspberry Pi and does work a little better; I haven't done any controlled testing though.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 11, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not DOSBOX, actually UT, UT2004, Quake3 and Doom3!

The LattePanda and the UPBoard can handle windows 10 quite well, and their gpu's are quite powerful for what they are. I guess the rasperberry is out. I've seen one of them even running Crysis which i find incredible, so Doom3 should be a piece of cake depending on the optimization of the GPU driver.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 7 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Well there are beefier ARM SBCs that are RPi compatible. I've had some experience with the Odroid C2, DOSBOX works fine in a pinch but I haven't done extensive testing with that. I played with an OrangePi as well, almost as powerful as the Odroid but cheaper - didn't try DOSBOX on it.

Did you determine if the OrangePi UART can be configured for MIDI I/O?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 11, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
stamasd wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Did you determine if the OrangePi UART can be configured for MIDI I/O?

Sadly I didn't work on that project at all lately. The amount of junk (read: retro hardware) in my basement was overwhelming and I spent the last 2 months or so cleaning up, organizing, building shelves etc. I'll be done soon, and hopefully I can resume some projects I have put on hold.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, cool! Same situation here. I've been wanting to do some further testing and documentation of my MIDI/message interface, but it's last on a long list of priorities right now.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 11, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a PI some time ago and was very disappointed in its dosbox performance. I then looked at other SBCs but ultimately gave up on finding any that offered sufficient compatibility and performance.

My solution became 3 mini PCs /thin clients for my retro gaming needs. A Neoware Capio for DOS / 3.11, a HP T5720 for Win98, and an Asus EB1502p for early win XP gaming. All 3 combined take up less space than my primary computer and use a lot less power than contemporary hardware. I use an Aten CS-1734A KVM switch to toggle between the 4 computers and a DROK audio switch to adjust volume and toggle between headset and speakers. Its a very nice and compact setup if i may say so 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A heavily overclocked raspberry pi 3 with a specially compiled dosbox running from the command line will get about 35fps in doom 1 timedemo 3 and will play descent but not with the most amazing frame rate.

640x480 the pi really struggles because you cant really make use of opengl or anything its all surface rendering and it ties up too much CPU time.

if you install the dosbox version from the repository it will be awefull

the dosbox that you can tell retropie to compile is the easiest way to get a version compiled for the instruction set in the pi3, also if you run it from the X user interface rather than booting to the command line you are losing a lot of performance.