VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I recently acquired a "new" Pentium 1/Socket 7 system, which came in a really nice AT case including a 5,25" floppy drive for around 30€.
Inside was a Soyo 5TE2, now I have a buttload of good and excellent Socket 7 and Super Socket 7 boards (Tyan, Asus P5A(-B), P/I-XP55T2P4, GA-586HX, GA-586ATS and so on). Is this 5TE2 any special or is it just another Socket 7 board?
The Dallas module is socketed, thats a plus. However I would also have the equipment to unsolder it and place a socket there instead.

The case + 5,25" floppy drive would perfectly fit for my 286 project, so I'm not gonna use the Soyo board.
The question is now: sell it or even throw it away (if it is a really crappy board) or keep it?

Here's the manual: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/ma … al/586/5te2.pdf

thanks!

Attachments

• sy-5te2.jpg
    Filename
    sy-5te2.jpg
    File size
    702.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have the same board. Got it also with an AT case, but the condition of that case was really bad so i've scrapped it.

Recently, i thought to sell this board, but now i want to re-built a (non super) socket 7 system.

The chipset is the first Triton (430FX). Disadvantage is: you cannot use any MMX -CPU cause there is no voltage spliting.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 2 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
melbar wrote:

The chipset is the first Triton (430FX). Disadvantage is: you cannot use any MMX -CPU cause there is no voltage spliting.

You should be able to use an Overdrive processor if you want MMX, no?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soyo boards are generally fast, stable and reliable. I have a lot of soyo boards ranging from 386 all the way to Socket 370, all working, all well above average. If nothing else this board is very reliable and makes a good backup part.

Reply 4 of 8, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks!

but i've got sooo many backup parts already.. if this isn't a board which is special in some way, compared to other good socket 7 boards, and because of that will gain value, I guess I'm gonna sell it at some point.
I was never a big fan of soyo boards. nearly all soyo boards I had, had some issues. mostly stability. most of them were 486 VLB though.

Reply 5 of 8, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have some questions:

During my test's today with this socket7 board (soyo 5TE2) i am little confused. Maybe somebody with more experience regarding FPM RAM or EDO RAM can help me.

I've bought these three 72pin (should be EDO RAM) with each 16MB capacity.

• - 2x Texas Instruments TMS417409DJ -60
    - 1x Nanya NT511740C5J -60

First, when i put only one single RAM in a slot, it doesn't boot. Only with two pieces of RAM it boot. Why?

Second, if i install only two, doesn't matter which of the above mentioned, it shows 32MB ram. Alright it's OK.
But when i install all three, it shows again 32MB.
Have also some old 4MB 72-pin RAM's and for example when i install 2x16MB + 2x4MB, i'll get 40MB on the post screen.

Notes:
I know that the Triton chipset has max. cacheable RAM of 64MB. But this is also for 256kB L2 cache right? Don't have a COAST RAM with 512kB.

The manual says:
"The mainboard supports eight banks of 72-pin SIMM or EDO DRAM (with or without parity). The mainboard requires SIMM of at least 80ns access time.

The mainboard supports from 4 to 128 Mbytes with no other restrictions on memory configurations, You can install DRAM in any combination without having to rely on a memory configuration table."

Attachments

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
melbar wrote:
First, when i put only one single RAM in a slot, it doesn't boot. Only with two pieces of RAM it boot. Why? […]
Show full quote

First, when i put only one single RAM in a slot, it doesn't boot. Only with two pieces of RAM it boot. Why?

Second, if i install only two, doesn't matter which of the above mentioned, it shows 32MB ram. Alright it's OK.
But when i install all three, it shows again 32MB.
Have also some old 4MB 72-pin RAM's and for example when i install 2x16MB + 2x4MB, i'll get 40MB on the post screen.

You have to use pairs of memory modules as the SIMMs are 32 bit and the Pentium uses 64 bit memory access (please remember I'm not a technical guy).
I don't remember if one could mix EDO and FPM on the same board, but the pairs of memory modules you use, best is to use as identical pairs as you can scrape together.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 8, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info's.

Problem solved !!!

The old SIMMS's i had, one from NANYA and three from NEC, has shown 16Mb of RAM on the post-screen.
Now, i have tested again my old NANYA SIMM with the NANYA i've bought the last week and the result is: 32Mb RAM 😀

So, according to these tests, the best is to use SIMM's with equal size, cause pairing two different SIMM's you loose some memory!!

One interesting thing also:
The board doesn't boot when removing the RTC... (My ODIN oec12c887a is low of engery 😵 )