VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I've got an AT&T/NCR Globalyst 530 486DX2/66 today.
Anyone seen this or a similar system ever? It seems to be a late 486 motherboard with PCI, coin cell battery, Trio64(!) GACC2 graphics onboard (memory unknown and expandable, 60ns), 72pin 70ns memory (FPM, I guess) and ISA slots on both sides of the riser card.

It has even got a Creative CT1350B in it, that is now my second one and I got both by luck, enclosed in random old systems I have bought, lacking most of the description.
It has a VIA chipset (VT82C505/VT82C496G) and it is built like a desktop system inside, however the CD drive is fitted for tower operation and also the whole front looks like a tower case.
There is no way to mount the cd drive or the drive cage 90 degrees turned.

I'm also wondering if this board is capable of 100MHz DX4 CPUs out of the box, as I havent found a way to set the voltage or multiplicator yet.

Any input is welcome, I'll try to fire this thing up now!

Attachments

• Globalyst 530.jpg
    Filename
    Globalyst 530.jpg
    File size
    666.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice find! I'm guessing the onboard memory is at 1MB, expandable to 2MB. S3 is a very nice onboard graphics option, but having PCI slots really opens the doors for you. More pictures would be great, especially the front and with the cover on. Seems like a really neat system. I'm sure some of the old pros here will have more info for you. Let us know how it fires up, and good luck man.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Video memory is 1MB with the possibility of expanding to 2MB. You can do that by adding 60ns vram chips taken from video cards (2D PCI cards usually have these).

Also it looks like there is some sort of expansion slot right near the CPU socket - I'd wager it's either for propriatarey format L2 cache or some memory expansion board.

clueless1 wrote:

Nice find! I'm guessing the onboard memory is at 1MB, expandable to 2MB. S3 is a very nice onboard graphics option, but having PCI slots really opens the doors for you. More pictures would be great, especially the front and with the cover on. Seems like a really neat system. I'm sure some of the old pros here will have more info for you. Let us know how it fires up, and good luck man.

beat me to it by a couple of minutes 😜

Reply 3 of 6, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey!

it runs, speedsys results aren't too surprising, though. compared to other DX2/66 systems.

so far it seems to work perfectly. unfortunately I've got plenty of 486 systems already. so I don't really know what to do with it 🤣
DX4-100 doesn't seem to work either. besides, I've got DX4 systems too, already 🤣 don't know, 2 or 3 or even 4...

IMG_1369.JPG
Filename
IMG_1369.JPG
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1368.JPG
Filename
IMG_1368.JPG
File size
950.34 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 6, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nemail wrote:

Hi!

I've got an AT&T/NCR Globalyst 530 486DX2/66 today.
Anyone seen this or a similar system ever? It seems to be a late 486 motherboard with PCI, coin cell battery, Trio64(!) GACC2 graphics onboard (memory unknown and expandable, 60ns), 72pin 70ns memory (FPM, I guess) and ISA slots on both sides of the riser card.

I had a case exactly like yours, but it was a rebadged AT&T/NCR (Professional Computing or something), and came with a Pentium 133. It was a very clean system, but I wasn't too impressed with the way the case split open.

Reply 6 of 6, by manuelink64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really like the slick/Pro design of the Case. 😳

I have a similar system, Unisys 486, the MoBo's layout is almost the same, but the VGA on board it's the classic CL-5434 1Mb.
check the jumpers settings, I put an i486DX4 100MHz on this baby with 64MB Ram FPM 60ns. 😎

486 systems are never enough 😁
Regards!

[Unisys CWP] [CPU] AMD-X5-133ADZ [RAM] 64 MB (4x36) FPM [HDD] Seagate 8.4GB [Audio] SB16 SCSI 2 (CT1770) [Video] ATI Mach64VT2 [OS] Windows 95 OSR2.5