VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a Gotek USB Floppydisk adapter. I did not realize that there were different versions of it. So i just picked one and that was the SFR1M44-U100, this means it can format the USB stick into 1000 Partitions of 1.44 MB and i can use those on the machine whit the Gotek installed. I thought i could just plug the USB stik into another PC's USB port and put disk images there. But not whit this one, therefor I need the SFR1M44-FU-DL or SFR1M44-FUM-DL.

So i'm stuk whit this one. Now i wonder if there is a possibility to use software to write data on it, just like pressing the buttons on the Gotek to select the "Disk". When i connect the USB stick it would present the first "Disk" labeled 000 on the Gotek. So there must be a way to "select" another "disk"... or do i have to buy a second on to punt into a modern PC to write the disks?

Reply 1 of 11, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using the SFR1M44-U100K and it works great with DOS most of the time. Even though I can format it to 1000 slots, the software I'm using on my Windows machine only handles 100 slots, I think, so that's what I'm going with. It's more than enough.

The software that was included on the CD with my unit was in Chinese, so I didn't even try to use that, even though it probably handles all 1000 slots.

The software I'm using is called ipcas USB Floppy Manager 1.40i and you can find it here:
http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy-emula … n-download.html

I have no idea what the difference is between the various versions of the Gotek.

Reply 3 of 11, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just got the same model. The CD they sent me was blank by the way! But from using the software linked to in this thread thread I think I can see how to upload an .img file to a a virtual floppy on the USB. Is there a way to make a really big single floppy on the USB stick? That would be a way of using a USB flash drive to transfer lots of data to a DOS machine in one go.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 4 of 11, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rick12373 wrote:

Is there a way to make a really big single floppy on the USB stick? That would be a way of using a USB flash drive to transfer lots of data to a DOS machine in one go.

No with the default firmware bundled with the board. You need to buy an HxC firmware copy from Jeff for that. It will also allow you to use image files in your usb drive, instead small non-standard partitions, along with other advanced functions.

Reply 5 of 11, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a gotek with the hxc firmware in it in my XT, makes life much easier than the shitty gotek 10000 partition garbage. well worth registering to get the hxc firmware.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love my GOTEK drives. What I do is simply use two of them. One in the modern PC, one in the retro PC. Then it's really easy to work with. This also has the benefit of being able to run disk image writing programs on the modern PC. Like the images from Bootdisk.com, which look for a real A: drive.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

This also has the benefit of being able to run disk image writing programs on the modern PC. Like the images from Bootdisk.com, which look for a real A: drive.

You can probably use the software-based Virtual Floppy Drive for that. But otherwise, it ought to be possible in most cases to turn a disk image writing program back into a standard floppy image, either by using whatever program was originally used on the disk image or by old-fashioned hex editing.

Reply 8 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

This also has the benefit of being able to run disk image writing programs on the modern PC. Like the images from Bootdisk.com, which look for a real A: drive.

You can probably use the software-based Virtual Floppy Drive for that. But otherwise, it ought to be possible in most cases to turn a disk image writing program back into a standard floppy image, either by using whatever program was originally used on the disk image or by old-fashioned hex editing.

You could do all that. Or you could just buy a second GOTEK. The classic time vs. money decision...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 11, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote:

I have a gotek with the hxc firmware in it in my XT, makes life much easier than the shitty gotek 10000 partition garbage. well worth registering to get the hxc firmware.

How would I go about getting the HXC firmware for my GoTek?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 10 of 11, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rick12373 wrote:

How would I go about getting the HXC firmware for my GoTek?

Here's all the info you need to flash your device with the firmware once you buy it.
Flashing the Gotek floppy emulator with HxC firmware

Reply 11 of 11, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks!

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770