VOGONS

First post, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was wondering if anyone here is using this card with their old consoles. I'm considering
swapping out my small CRT tv and useing an old monitor instead. IIRC, vga was analog-only (or quasi-digital if you include the vsync/hsync)

In theory, there shouldn't be any input lag unless the card uses a framebuffer to convert the composite/s-video signal to vga. In theory, that is. 🤣

Ideally, it would produce an output with no lag, and even an nes zapper should work.

Is anyone out there running such a setup?

Reply 2 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you're using the video in and outputting it onto VGA? Yes, there will definitely be a delay.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 5, by manuelink64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Depending of the output resolution, there be more/less input lag.

low resolutions (640x480) are equally similar to TV "resolution", there is the minimal input lag you can achieve.
try to pass-thru the signal, don't apply filters, post process, color correction, deflicker, nothing.

I don't now if you can put a old console like nes, with 240p output image, probably the card don't handle this.
if was, the card will try to deinterlace to 480i, then use the frame buffer to make 480p...lag everywhere 😵

if you use a console like a ps2,wii with 480i output, the card will try to make it 480p, less lag
if you use a ps2, wii with progressive output (480p), the card (if can handle) theorically don't make anything and probably your are lag quasi-free signal.

Try by yourself.

Regards!

[Unisys CWP] [CPU] AMD-X5-133ADZ [RAM] 64 MB (4x36) FPM [HDD] Seagate 8.4GB [Audio] SB16 SCSI 2 (CT1770) [Video] ATI Mach64VT2 [OS] Windows 95 OSR2.5

Reply 5 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a very interesting idea. I use a CRT monitor for lots of things still. I also have an NES and a Genesis and I'd love it if they looked better without having to find space for an old TV. Old consoles look horrible on my LED TV.

I have a 3500 with the breakout cable. I'll give this a try some time but I have no experience with video in\out on things like this.

I found a review of the 3500 and it sounds like the input quality may not be that good. Probably still worth trying though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/351/15

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.