VOGONS

building a network of old gaming pcs

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 62, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds cards often have disk interfaces on board. These are typically compatible with SCSI disks, IDE devices, or proprietary interfaces adopted by early Mitsumi, Panasonic, and Sony drives.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 61 of 62, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So.. After alot of messing around and reading computer manuals downloading drivers for every motherboard i have to see what os support they have, some motherboards and IBM PCs i cannot find drivers. I just finished a p4 with w98se, i have 4 Pentium 3 era computers working with win98se, sound cards video cards ethernet cards ect, But 2 of my hard drives failed after i installed drivers tested games ect,i assume most of the ide hard drives i have are on there last legs what would be a good...the best, alternative? I have found online IDE SSD Hard drvies, at computer stores in my city they sell PCI SSDs. ive also seen in some builds on youtube people using sd cards connected to an IDE converter type thing.. not sure the name. i would like something that will last long, and work with 98se. im still learning as i go, and my goals have changed due to a lack of information i had when i started. going to try and have 4 of every pentium era computer whether it be intel or amd and see for myself what works and what doesnt.

And for the motherboard drivers i cannot find on goolge what would you guys recommend these are the computers
IBM PC 300GL - 6275-94u
- 6574-83u
- 6591-54u

IBM Net Vista 6578-rbu
HP pavilion 8550c
HP Vectra VE VB-609
DFI CS61-EC
ASUS p4p800S (can only find other variants (ex Asus p4p800S SE, Asus p4p800 ect) which have not been working with windows 98, only the chipset driver has worked so far)
and lastly a winfast 760.( nevr heard of winfast is it a crappy board? or even worth it for what i want to do with it.
My goal for these is to have all available drivers for supported OS's

I have allready done this with all other computers i chose to keep, because if something ever fails ill just have a back up motherboard plus a couple of my buddies are interested in buying a vintage gaming pc.
Thanks again, if this forum diddnt exist i would be SOL! 🤣

Reply 62 of 62, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't say it any better than Phil:
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/hard-drive-op … -retro-pcs.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder