VOGONS

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I recently got my hands on a Pentium Pro desktop machine for next to nothing.

It's a HP Vectra XA 6/200DT.

I'm not going to keep the whole thing, because I hate those kind of cramped desktop cases, and it was pretty scruffy anyway. Instead I've ripped out the motherboard, expansions slots card, and everything else that looked remotely useful.

Unfortunately it seems to come with some funky non standard PSU and motherboard.

Fil 2016-11-17 22 51 16.jpeg
Filename
Fil 2016-11-17 22 51 16.jpeg
File size
758.47 KiB
Views
File comment
PSU
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Fil 2016-11-17 22 52 48.jpeg
Filename
Fil 2016-11-17 22 52 48.jpeg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File comment
HP Motherboard
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'd hate to have to save this PSU just for this motherboard, but I guess I have no choice if I ever want to use it.

Anyone recognize them, or are they as super-special HP sauce as I fear they are?

Reply 1 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 486 HP vectra has exactly the same PSU. In fact, I think that all hp vectras from the early-mid 90's had this PSU

However, you won't be able to fit these anywhere else than in another HP vectra ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 10, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

My 486 HP vectra has exactly the same PSU. In fact, I think that all hp vectras from the early-mid 90's had this PSU

However, you won't be able to fit these anywhere else than in another HP vectra ...

I was afraid you were gonna say that. A 100 Watt BEAST, in a really ugly form factor.

Reply 3 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another option would be to figure out which pin does what, and then solder the special HP connector to a regular power supply. Of course, there is the possibility you will discover that even the power supply is non-standard in its voltages, but I somehow doubt that a little...

Reply 4 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pretty much worthless without the case imho. if the case is a lost cause, pull teh cpu/ram and scrap the rest.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, you could basically regard the case, the mobo and the PSU as a unit, it'll be hard to use any of them without the others. You might however want to consider keeping it all as is if you want a ppro machine. Can't remember ever seeing a socket 8 whitebox back in the days, standard AT/ATX socket 8 mobos are probably extremely rare here.

Out of curiosity, is it the one listed on Tradera last week? Saw it too, but decided it wasn't worth the ride to the other side of town 😁

Reply 6 of 10, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should not be too difficult to rewire a usual ATX PSU to use with these connectors. All you need is a multimeter to find out all the voltages on the original PSU wires when it is on. The tricky part may be a PS-ON signal. I recall old HP PSUs did not provide HIGH level on PS-ON pin, it was the mobo that pulled this pin to +5V from standby. If it is a hard on/off (AT-like) PSU there is no issue at all - just use a usual ATX PSU and wire a switch between PSU's PS-ON and GROUND wires after rewiring it for HP connectors. If it is a soft on/off PSU (ATX-like) you will need to find a PS-ON wire on the original PSU first. Plug it in the outlet and measure all pins against ground while the PSU is off. If you are lucky enough, there will be 2 (or more, if there is a good drain on +5V Standby curcuit) wires with +5V. One of them will be PS-ON. The PSU may actually start when you measure the PS ON pin. Or might not. You can use a resistor like 100 Ohms, which will give you a current of 50 mAmps, between these +5V and GROUND and see which pin makes PSU start. This pin will be PS-ON pin. Just don't leave the resistor connected for long. Connect, if the PSU doesn't start within a sec, it won't start, so disconnect.
If you are not lucky though, you will need to match all +5V pins on the PSU plugged to the outlet, but not connected to the mobo with +5V pins when PSU is plugged both into the outlet and the mobo. You will probably find that there is an extra +5V pin present when the PSU is plugged into the mobo. This would be a PS-ON pin.

Reply 7 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have the riser slot you might be able to mod a desktop case to fit it in. W/o the riser, the board is worthless. I thing the PSU's pinout is regular AT. Not sure tough so don't take my word for it.

Reply 8 of 10, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:

Out of curiosity, is it the one listed on Tradera last week? Saw it too, but decided it wasn't worth the ride to the other side of town 😁

It is! 11 SEK isn't too bad for a PPro cpu, SB 16, and Matrox gfx card, and I live on the "correct" side of town. 😁

It came complete, with the expansion riser card and evertything. It even worked, but I don't have space for this kind of case.

I'll poke around a bit with the PSU and see what I can find. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Reply 9 of 10, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hp vectra pinout;

http://pinouts.ru/Power/hp_vectravl5_power_pinout.shtml

other non standard pinouts listed too for other hp models

http://pinouts.ru/Power/#HP

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 10, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:
hp vectra pinout; […]
Show full quote

hp vectra pinout;

http://pinouts.ru/Power/hp_vectravl5_power_pinout.shtml

other non standard pinouts listed too for other hp models

http://pinouts.ru/Power/#HP

Cheers! I'll see if it is worth mucking together an adapter or if I'll just keep the small parts.