VOGONS

First post, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its a p2 266mhz / 66fsb
can i just unplug the fan? or will it run too hot?
the noise is driving me nuts:)
everything else in my room is silent pretty much by comparison.

i saw just now on google results someone using a passive cooler that would be a great idea
but is there anything i can do without buying anything??
would using WD-40 work? 😉 🤣

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 1 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WD-40 isn't a lubricant. Options you can use include mineral oil (available at the pharmacy), sewing machine oil, and petroleum jelly.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 16, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do not run it unplugged, it will become very, very hot.

Picture of heatsink/fan?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some fans don't have a good lube point. Be careful not to lube electronics, only cylinder/shaft areas. Like squareguy said, pics?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 16, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if the bearing is dried out, lubrication might help, depending of the bearing type.

Don't know specifically how those socket 1 fans are designed, but often the bearing is only covered by a sticker. Carefully peel the sticker off, and try to determine which kind of bearing it is. If it's not a ball bearing, put a drop or two of motor oil in the bearing, and replace the sticker. If you want, you can remove the circlip holding the rotor shaft in place, pull out the rotor, and clean the bearing surfaces before lubricating them. It'll be easier to determine the bearing type with the circlip and shaft out of the way too.

If it's a ball bearing, it's usually a ZZ (dust sealed) one. I've never seen open or half-open ball bearings in computer fans at least. You can get lubricant into those, by submerging the bearing in oil, heat it all up on the stove, and then set it aside to cool down. When heated up, the air trapped in the bearing expands and some of it escapes. When the remaining air trapped inside the bearing cools down and contracts again, the vacuum will suck in oil into the bearing.

Edit: if you don't know how to differentiate between a ball bearing and a sliding bearing, or only can see too small parts of it to determine, just go on the color. A ball bearing will be made of steel, a sliding bearing will most certainly be made of bronze.

If it's just you that's gotten used to modern low RPM CPU fans, no lubrication in the world will help.

Reply 5 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without objecting to anything already said: There were indeed systems from respectable manufacturers sold with passive cooling up until the first PIIIs. And yes, not like today were there is some other fan blowing straight to the heatsink, just a common case with a huge CPU heatsink. I'm just letting this lie here although you did mention that you don't intend to buy anything...

Reply 6 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's my HP Vectra Pentium II 400. Admittedly, there's a ducted exhaust fan mounted over it.

pentiumII.jpg
Filename
pentiumII.jpg
File size
969.15 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Here's my HP Vectra Pentium II 400. Admittedly, there's a ducted exhaust fan mounted over it.

Also got two socket 1 CPU:s with passive cooling, a PII 350 (SL356) and a PIII 550 (SL3F7). Used them both previously for quite some time, with just a 120mm intake case fan running at ~7 volts about 10 cm from the CPU, blowing towards it. No air ducts or anything like that. Worked just fine, the temperatures kept well within the comfortable range even under load, checked with an IR thermometer.

DSC_0630.JPG
Filename
DSC_0630.JPG
File size
751.68 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a P2-333 on ebay once that did not come with a heatsink. This was my make-shift fix. I only used it for benchmarking, so I wasn't too concerned about long-term effects. There is a good dollop of thermal grease underneath.

Attachments

• p2_ghetto2.jpg
    Filename
    p2_ghetto2.jpg
    File size
    379.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • p2_ghetto1.jpg
    Filename
    p2_ghetto1.jpg
    File size
    530.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 16, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:

Without objecting to anything already said: There were indeed systems from respectable manufacturers sold with passive cooling up until the first PIIIs. And yes, not like today were there is some other fan blowing straight to the heatsink, just a common case with a huge CPU heatsink. I'm just letting this lie here although you did mention that you don't intend to buy anything...

Indeed. Both my 500MHz PIII cards are passive, and I have a couple 600EB cards with passive heatsinks, although they're massive and probably meant to have a case fan running over them. AFAIK they all came from Dell systems. My 350MHz PII's are all passive as well, but I figured that was more normal. Those came out of other IBM PC300GLs.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 10 of 16, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:

Picture of heatsink/fan?

heres a pic

PENTIUM II SL2K9
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL2K9.html

Attachments

• pII_Fan.jpg
    Filename
    pII_Fan.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 11 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:
heres a pic […]
Show full quote
squareguy wrote:

Picture of heatsink/fan?

heres a pic

PENTIUM II SL2K9

You should be able to unscrew that fan from the heatsink, then follow these directions:
http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

Reply 12 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:

If it's a ball bearing, it's usually a ZZ (dust sealed) one. I've never seen open or half-open ball bearings in computer fans at least. You can get lubricant into those, by submerging the bearing in oil, heat it all up on the stove, and then set it aside to cool down. When heated up, the air trapped in the bearing expands and some of it escapes. When the remaining air trapped inside the bearing cools down and contracts again, the vacuum will suck in oil into the bearing.

Depending on the kind of sealed ball bearing (rubber/teflon/etc. seals, clipped metal seals, or irremovable metal seals) , you can either pry the seals off with a needle or the tip of an X-acto knife or use a needle to carefully pry off the clips and remove the seals, then immerse the bearing itself in a cleaning agent (also when the metal seals can't be removed), take them out, let them dry, and relubricate with a drop of bearing oil. Reassemble the bearings with removable seals afterwards. No heating required.
Heating oil (too much) can change its chemical composition due to evaporation of components.

Reply 13 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
chrisNova777 wrote:
heres a pic […]
Show full quote
squareguy wrote:

Picture of heatsink/fan?

heres a pic

PENTIUM II SL2K9

You should be able to unscrew that fan from the heatsink, then follow these directions:
http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

...and then replace the fan by one that's more quiet or attach a nice additional heatsink with lots of fins, because the model of heatsink on the processor tends to not do much without a fan.

Reply 14 of 16, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Replace all fans with MagLev fans. MagLev fans do not have any friction because the fan is centered by a magnetic field.
Sunon is the go-to brand.

Maglev fans don't need lubricant, and will last until their magnets lose the ability to hold a charge.
In fact, they don't have a listed Minimum time before failure in their datasheets because they haven't been able to get one to fail in a test environment.

The only downside is that they require more power and run a little slower than traditional ball bearing fans, so they're not as good for overclocking.

So, get maglev fans, keep them clean, and never worry about them for possibly decades..

Reply 15 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having a single Pentium 2 which had a seized up fan. Since I didn't know how to remove the entire HSF assembly (the metal part was stuck to the CPU cartridge) and didn't want to ruin it, I ended up just snipping out the fan (but keeping the circle-shaped 'duct' that's part of the plastic part) and taping a little fan on top of this duct-like thing. It worked, but I never used it for a very long time so I can't say how durable a solution it is. It is quick and very cheap though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:

Also got two socket 1 CPU:s with passive cooling, a PII 350 (SL356) and a PIII 550 (SL3F7). Used them both previously for quite some time, with just a 120mm intake case fan running at ~7 volts about 10 cm from the CPU, blowing towards it.

That worked well for me also, especially for benchmarking.

I also have this CoolerMaster Slot 1 cooler that I use. You can easily replace the fan on it.

qHkMo2Vh.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website