VOGONS

First post, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys (and Gals?),

I have both a TEAC FD-505, which is a dual 3.5/5.25" drive, and a Gotek floppy emulator for some time. Up until now, I've had to have either/or hooked up as when the TEAC is on the floppy controller, it takes both the a: and b: drives. What I'd really, really like to figure out is how to have just the 5.25" drive live alongside the Gotek. One step better would be to wire a switch to "flip" between the physical media of the TEAC for the 3.5" and the Gotek.

There are jumpers on the TEAC to swap the drive letters between its two drives. I've played around with them a bit and can get it to the point where the Gotek works and the TEAC at least seeks the 5.25" drive, but has a general failure error. I know that I can throw a single 5.25" and make it work, but I really like the insert/eject function on the TEAC as well as would like the ability to enable the 3.5" when desired, if that's also possible.

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone help here? The documentation on the TEAC is VERY scarce. I do have the version that supports 1.2M 5.25" media.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that there are several different versions of this model which use different settings:

FD-505-000 - require the large Molex type power connector (5/12V); have two blocks of jumpers on the 5.25" drive; third block of jumpers on the left side of the 34-pin connector are not to be changed

FD-505-100/200/300 - have one block of jumpers; need the small type power connector

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 7, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a manual here:
http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/teac/disk … %20Diskette.pdf

It doesn't appear that you can selectively disable a drive. Jumpers settings can be found on page 21.

Errius wrote:

FD-505-100/200/300 - have one block of jumpers; need the small type power connector

If it helps, the "small type power connector" is called a Berg connector.

Reply 3 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That manual is for the -000 model. I couldn't find a manual for the other versions but the jumper settings are here (scroll down):

http://hxc2001.com/download/datasheet/floppy/ … %20Division.pdf

eta: the manual does also cover the -100/200/300 models but you need to scroll down to near the end.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NooNaN wrote:
Hi Guys (and Gals?), […]
Show full quote

Hi Guys (and Gals?),

I have both a TEAC FD-505, which is a dual 3.5/5.25" drive, and a Gotek floppy emulator for some time. Up until now, I've had to have either/or hooked up as when the TEAC is on the floppy controller, it takes both the a: and b: drives. What I'd really, really like to figure out is how to have just the 5.25" drive live alongside the Gotek. One step better would be to wire a switch to "flip" between the physical media of the TEAC for the 3.5" and the Gotek.

There are jumpers on the TEAC to swap the drive letters between its two drives. I've played around with them a bit and can get it to the point where the Gotek works and the TEAC at least seeks the 5.25" drive, but has a general failure error. I know that I can throw a single 5.25" and make it work, but I really like the insert/eject function on the TEAC as well as would like the ability to enable the 3.5" when desired, if that's also possible.

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone help here? The documentation on the TEAC is VERY scarce. I do have the version that supports 1.2M 5.25" media.

Thanks!

You can send me the combo drive and I'll give you a 5.25" in return!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the notes. I do have a 5.25" drive, so ya, not looking to get rid of this one. 😀

The one I have uses a "standard?" AT/ATX power connector....4-pins in the molex I believe.
There are two banks of jumpers on what appears to be an intelligence board that pulls this whole setup together. I've been messing with the one that seems to alter the drive
letters as there are many more jumper configs possible than what is listed in the manual. It doesn't say anywhere what they each do, just how to config them to swap the drives.
There's another bank on the same board and also another couple that are more near the IDE cable. If the later model doesn't use a molex connector at all, then this is def the 000.

I can post some pictures at some point soon for better context. As mentioned, I've gotten the Gotek functioning as A: with the TEAC at least seeking the 5.25" as the B: drive,
albeit with the error. That progress makes me think there is some way to do this... Just as an FYI, both drives work fine with the Gotek out of the picture.

EDIT - also, just thought to mention that I've got the TEAC in the first position of the floppy cable and the Gotek in the second, on the end. This should be how they go given the
A:/B: config I'm looking for.

Reply 6 of 7, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One last try (bump).

I ended up opening up a 5.25" drive that I picked up for $5 at an antique show. It was complete in the box including the VHS tape instructions. Pleasantly surprised that it had actually never been used. Completely brand new, even with the cardboard sheet to fill the drive during shipping. Crazy...works great.

I'm content with this along with the Gotek. Just means I have to go to the main PC to "RIP" the floppies to the USB stick first. I've got a huge archive of pre-installed stuff, but there's something to installing the game as it was meant to be. Something also in installing them from the floppies, so if anyone
has any idea how to accomplish this, I'd be very grateful.

Reply 7 of 7, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NooNaN wrote:

One last try (bump).

[...] there's something to installing the game as it was meant to be.

Too bad it doesn't emulate the random bad disk that craps the bed when you're trying to install over 10 disks 🤣