VOGONS

First post, by BlacksmithPL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I have just replace RTC on my motherboard but there is still something wrong 😒 Time and Data are saving good but ther is still that sign on the screen which tells that : cmos checksum error defaults loaded and cmos battery failed . Do I have to do something with jumpers if i replacing RTC ?

Sorry for my Eng

Reply 1 of 7, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's possible that you bought an old-stock RTC with a dead battery. Which RTC are you using, and what are the numbers you see printed on the chip?

Reply 2 of 7, by BlacksmithPL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Odin OEC12C887A
I have just measure battery in my old RTC and seems to be ok... Is it possible that BIOS UV Eprom is not working good ? I tried to clear CMOS with jumper JP12 but nothing happened, only TIme & Data was restart.

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes you can replace with a pin-compatible eeprom - no worries there

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same problem on my EXP-4045, well sorta. After many trials and tribulations, resetting CMOS, doing a whole whackton of crap, I think it was just setting a few values in the CMOS and saving them that fixed it. Try loading all default values in the BIOS/CMOS menu, and saving them. I doubt the E/EEPROM is damaged as those are pretty sturdy.

However, replacing them is not hard, find one that's pin compatible (Check over at the EEVBlog forum for more help) and throw it in. If it's not pin compatible, there's always the pin to pin soldering/hackjob system.

Reply 7 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BlacksmithPL wrote:

So its only need to be a pin-compatibility ? Can i use then one of these : http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/winb … -45Z-ND/1133334 ?

yes , I've been using W27C512 eeproms lots - they can hold 64kbyte of data and that happens to be the most common BIOS size for 486 mobos 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website