VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Title pretty much says it all. I installed the S-YXG70 soft synth off my FFVII CD-ROM and was trying to use it for games such as Descent and Duke 3D via Windows dosbox.

I'm using a sound card (SB16 CT1730) with no wavetable and selecting the soft synth in the Midi tab under Multimedia settings.

I'm not hearing any GM music, so I'm guessing that the S-YXG70 works with Windows programs (such as FFVII) only?

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's likely what's happening, as DOS will still just talk to the MPU-401 interface at address 330.

Sound Cards like the ISA Yamaha cards, let you select their SoftSynth for MPU-401, which can sound quite nice. I'm not sure how that compares to S-YXG70 though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 4, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I just tested a YMF719's OPL3-SAx soft synth with a couple of DOS games in a Windows dosbox, and it does work well. The soft synth is pretty good, but I suspect that the S-YXG70 would be better.

I tried to install the S-YXG70 on top of the OPL3-SAx soft synth that is bundled with the YMF719 install file, but the S-YXG70 install says that any other Yamaha soft synths must be uninstalled first. I installed it anyway because there's no way to install the YMF719 in Windows without installing the OPL3-SAx soft synth.

Unfortunately, I don't think I was able to "trick" the YMF719 into using the S-YXG70.

Reply 3 of 4, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/

I came across this project a few months ago. You can use it with a standalone VST host (like the aptly named VSTHost). I use it on a physical machine with a USB MIDI adapter to my retro PC's and it works....I'm not sure about dosbox.

Reply 4 of 4, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joe6pack wrote:

http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/

I came across this project a few months ago. You can use it with a standalone VST host (like the aptly named VSTHost). I use it on a physical machine with a USB MIDI adapter to my retro PC's and it works....I'm not sure about dosbox.

Thanks! I've been quite curious about this project but haven't had a chance to test it out. What I'm looking for is a soft synth that will run natively in 98SE and then allow me to use it for GM in DOS games launched in Windows. I was hoping the S-YXG70 was it.

The S-YXG50 doesn't work in this way, either, I discovered after testing.

But the YMF-724 does allow you to do this, which is probably the best option.