VOGONS

First post, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody.

I have searched the local ads a few days ago and I found a Roland SoundCanvas SC-33 Module with power supply. It seems to be in good condition.
The seller asks 30€ for it which I find pretty fair compared to the 80€ plus the other models usually cost around here.

I know it doesn't have the same features as the SC-55. For example only one MIDI connection and no MT-32 support.
These are not really important for me as I'm going to use it on only one machine at a time and I'm gonna use Munt for MT-32 stuff.

Does anybody know how it sounds compared to the SC-55? That's my main concern.

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 1 of 7, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no doubt for 30 euro !! get it (if it works)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDuSpuL_iBE

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 2 of 7, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much!

You're the inventor/designer/maker of the Dreamblaster Wavetable Cards right? If you recommend it, it has to be good! 😀
I'd love to get one of your devices but my budget is really tight right now. I have been dreaming of an S1 or X1 since I found out about them.
Keep up the good work!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 3 of 7, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MT32 support on an SC-55 is rarely ever used for PC games. It was meant for musicians that wanted the basic sound bank but didn't want to deal with a second module. It did not have the ability to receive custom patches like a real MT32/CM32, so it only works for the small base of games that doesn't use custom patches.

The sound quality of the SC-33 is supposed to be cleaner than that of the SC-55. I only have SC-55's so I can't really compare them, but every thing I hear about them is good. I second the motion to get it if it's only 30 euro with power supply.

Let us know how it sounds when you get it hooked up.

Reply 4 of 7, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It took the seller some time to respond but today I have recieved it.

Here it is:

EJAfskzh.jpg

The unit works! I took it apart to check if the battery is fine. It is.

Now I could record some games but thruth be told it sounds exactly like an SC-55MkII. Which means it sounds great!

Thanks for the advice!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 6 of 7, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the time Roland was expanding the Sound Canvas product line like crazy - they probably had an excess of parts related to the production of Boss drum machines and decided to create a tabletop sound canvas, hence the Roland SC-33 / Boss DS-330.

Here is the Boss DR-660 which looks like a close sibling of the SC-33.

mMnpx7Xl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 7 of 7, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

It certainly looks like something from the 80s/90s. 😁
Enjoy!

Thanks, I will!

MMaximus wrote:
At the time Roland was expanding the Sound Canvas product line like crazy - they probably had an excess of parts related to the […]
Show full quote

At the time Roland was expanding the Sound Canvas product line like crazy - they probably had an excess of parts related to the production of Boss drum machines and decided to create a tabletop sound canvas, hence the Roland SC-33 / Boss DS-330.

Here is the Boss DR-660 which looks like a close sibling of the SC-33.

mMnpx7Xl.jpg

That looks like it's using the same base chassis, I would not be surprised if you could switch out the baseplate. I also think that's the exact same power supply my SC-33 has.
Makes sense that they used pre-existing parts to make it. I got no complaints, it works great.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL