VOGONS

First post, by Malichite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have a clean Micronics M4Pi bios image for the Phoenix 4.04 version (M4Pi (486 PCI) 09-00209 4.04 M4pi-xx[xx])?

I recently picked up an old Micronics M4Pi 486 board, but I am having nothing but trouble getting it to boot. Originally I didn't even get display, but after referring to the manual I moved the W10 jumper to 1-2 rather than 2-3 and at least I see it display something. Basically it proceeds through the Memory Test and then says some of the BIOS settings are incorrect and I need to enter Setup, but it hangs at this point. If I mash F2 as it boots I get the <Entering Setup> prompt rather than hanging on <Press F2 To Enter Setup>, but both hang before entering the BIOS.

I can only find a recovery bios method on sites like Metropoli BBS and any other links I thought I found have long since expired. I tried this BIOS recovery disk method, but I can't seem to ever get it to try read the disk. The instructions mention that in the old v1.03 version you simply move the W10 pin to 1-2 position and it will load with two beeps, then you press Q and it read the disk and programs the BIOS. However with the newer version I am already using W10 in position 1-2 to even boot, so I don't know how to trigger the recovery method on the 4.04 BIOS version I have as W10 position 2-3 just hangs with no display.

I would like to try to program a clean BIOS image using an external programmer, but I haven't been able to find the M4Pi version 4.04 BIOS anywhere. I did find mention up a Micro Firmware BIOS upgrade for this board referred to as M6HS60 on old archive.org images of http://www.firmware.com, but I can't find any links to an actual BIOS image as they have also expired long ago. Furthermore it also sounds like when they switched from 1.03 to 4.04 they inverted the boot code, so I can't even revert back without an external programmer, but then again I don't have a good v1.03 BIOS image either. 🙁

I would appreciate any help finding a good 4.04 BIOS image or if anyone knows how to trigger the recovery process on the newer M4Pi 4.04 version, that would be of great help. Thanks,

-Mali