VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen this card on eBay a few times now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-nVidia-TNT2-Pro-32 … eUAAOSwWnFV76gh

Been hunting for a TNT2 Pro or Ultra and see this one come up at a much lower price than others....is there a reason why for this particular card? Is it the HP thing?

Thanks for the help.

Reply 2 of 7, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experiance the OEM Manufacturer versions of cards are generally less expensive because they were less performance oriented. For video cards a lot of people like to see those brand names like Diamond, Hercules, eVGA, Asus, or whatever else just because generally they are higher quality the OEMs. But, that is not guaranteed. It might be clocked lower then a retail card as well. Maybe someone else has more information.

Reply 3 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OEM = usually not the same speed as retail, but sometimes its a good deal. I bought a Dell MX400 64mb for 3.99 with free shipping from ebay, the rest of them with 64mb where going for $15+

Reply 4 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watch out with OEM cards. I've been burned with an OEM AWE64 that literally was missing AWE64 synth, and and form of OPL FM synth. It was literally an audio card, with no music capability (Unless you count MOD/Sampled music)

I have a RIVA TNT2 from ASUS, great card it has component in for recording, although I have yet to find software to take advantage of this.

Other options are something like the GeForce 2 MX which performs better and normally has a bit more VRAM.

It looks innocent enough, if you want it, buy it, but make sure you can return it if it doesn't have a TNT2 feature that you need from a TNT2. OEM companies were and are infamous for cutting corners like crazy. It used to be harder to do, but now dell boxes are the laughing stock of most computer enthusiasts.

Reply 6 of 7, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

I have the same ASUS TNT2 Card, but was looking to bump up to a Pro or Ultra...that card I listed is marked as a TNT2 Pro....

But according to agent_x007 is actually a TNT2 M64, which explains why it's cheaper than the rest. Take a look at the link he posted and compare that card to the Compaq one and it really does look like the same one.