VOGONS

Roland mt-32

Topic actions

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it worthwhile to scoop up an old-model mt-32 and seek out the processing unit and ISA card later? Or would that be wasting money?

The ISA card in particular seems hard to find - how strictly does the setup need a specific model of ISA board?

Or should I hold out for the 'new' model mt-32 and/or a bundle of everything together?

Reply 1 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the price is right, definitely grab it. You can often make do with SoftMPU, then build a HardMPU board or talk to Keropi when he builds a new batch of his Musicquest clone^2 boards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gladders wrote:

Awesome 😀 and old vs 'new' model doesn't matter?

Yes, get the old one without the headphone port at the back.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:

What would that help? Also it just happens that's what I ended up with, paid 50 for it a year ago and it works well.
Doom is hilarious on it. Bleep bloop.

Man, ZDoom or Zandorum with a good 2GB or so SF on a modern PC is AMAZING, it sounds WAY better than the general MIDI synth most cards have.

Reply 10 of 13, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

I wasn't even aware there was a board needed- I just plug it into the gameport on any of my audio cards.
Processing unit? Am I missing things?

Well, sorta 😀
Roland sold their own MIDI interface, the MPU-401, which supported the full MPU-401 standard (obviously).
There are two modes, 'intelligent' and 'dumb'.
Many sound cards implement a MIDI interface that is MPU-401-compatible, but only in 'dumb' mode (intelligent mode is basically a whole on-board sequencer, and requires a microcontroller, making it expensive to implement).
So if you want the 'intelligent' mode as well, you either need to use the SoftMPU software (which emulates it on the CPU, requires a 386 or better), or you need the real Roland interface, or one of the few clones that support 'intelligent' mode.
I believe a few games depend on 'intelligent' mode, so just having the MT-32 alone won't give you the full experience.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 11 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SoftMPU will provide the necessary features for a UART mode (dumb, in Scali's parlance) MPU-401 interface. It works with any title that is compatible with EMM386. A proper hardware interface (the MM-401 is 95% proper) is better, though, as it will work without question of software.

The microcontroller used was generally either an 8051 or Z8. Only a modest performance upgrade of the existing controller on a SB16, for example, would allow normal (intelligent) mode features to be enabled. By the time the interface was being built into sound cards, though, software had begun implementing any required normal mode features to be run on the host CPU and they weren't really required on the card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 13, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ampera wrote:
SRQ wrote:

What would that help? Also it just happens that's what I ended up with, paid 50 for it a year ago and it works well.

Man, ZDoom or Zandorum with a good 2GB or so SF on a modern PC is AMAZING, it sounds WAY better than the general MIDI synth most cards have.

I use my ipad to emulate SC-88 for it, sounded HELLA GOOD. for me. Not even sure how it could be improved upon.
also 2gb soundfont waaaat

Reply 13 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:
Ampera wrote:
SRQ wrote:

I use my ipad to emulate SC-88 for it, sounded HELLA GOOD. for me. Not even sure how it could be improved upon.
also 2gb soundfont waaaat

Yea, SGM + Nice-Keys-Sal-Giga is around 1.3 GB in size, would never even load on a 32 bit SB environment. It's a bum ton of samples.