VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for recommendations from those of you who have used or know about a decent, not super expensive, motherboard for an Intel Pentium III - 933 MHZ / 133 MHZ FSB.

Want to use my GeForce2 GTS AGP with this as well.

Reply 1 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any of the Asus CUV series motherboards seem to be really good. In fact there is one with a built in TNT2 M64 on ebay for $27 shipped which is pretty neat.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot or socket CPU?
I take you are talking about socket, though I remember them as being avaliable as slot CPU's too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

Any of the Asus CUV series motherboards seem to be really good. In fact there is one with a built in TNT2 M64 on ebay for $27 shipped which is pretty neat.

They seem to be highly favorable. I have never owned one personally. On the other hand, I have an Intel d815eea2, and I have only had good luck with that. Never benched it, yet it is rock stable. Only drawbacks so far, is the lack of ISA slots.

Reply 4 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

They seem to be highly favorable. I have never owned one personally. On the other hand, I have an Intel d815eea2, and I have only had good luck with that. Never benched it, yet it is rock stable. Only drawbacks so far, is the lack of ISA slots.

Though the D815EEA2 was an Intel board which might have used a BIOS with limited support for any other CPU than those the board was intended to run with, even if the CPU would work perfectly fine otherwise. Not entirely sure this is actually the case with the D815EEA2, but I do remember the BIOS of my D815EEA (non-Tualatin capable) board being quite limited compared to how forgiving other boards were when it comes to what CPUs they support.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
brostenen wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Though the D815EEA2 was an Intel board which might have used a BIOS with limited support for any other CPU than those the board was intended to run with, even if the CPU would work perfectly fine otherwise. Not entirely sure this is actually the case with the D815EEA2, but I do remember the BIOS of my D815EEA (non-Tualatin capable) board being quite limited compared to how forgiving other boards were when it comes to what CPUs they support.

I am running a P-III 933/133 on my board. 😀 So this is perfect for what the OP is asking for.

EDIT:
Regarding Tualatin CPU's, I do not know if it can do 1.4
According to this article/review, it can do 1.2 Tualatin's.

http://techreport.com/review/2649/intel-penti … -2ghz-processor

Reply 8 of 19, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 2 Asus CUSL2-M board's one i just picked up this week with a Celeron 633mhz for £5. Rock solid 815 board and i run a modified Tualatin 1.4ghz chip in the one.

Last edited by Bancho on 2016-12-10, 10:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Btw, I second the D815EEA (with or without the additional 2 😁), great stability and shouldn't be hard to find.
Used 2 of these boards (1 with Coppermine 1GHz and the other with Coppermine 800MHz) and I never had any problems with either of them, except for one of the boards which seemed to have a broken floppy controller (CPU socket was damaged as well, but I could fixed that).

The only thing I'm unsure of, is whether any D815EEAs were different (like being from a Dell which often used different pinout PSUs), making them harder to work with.

And another s370 favorite of mine is the GA-6OXT (Tualatin board), it never had any problems running my Tully 1.4GHz and usually Tualatin boards run Coppermines just fine.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't complain about my d815eea2 board. Especially taken the price of 12 US Dollars including shipping. 😀

It's set up with V3-3500, 512mb Ram and YMF-724.
Just works like a champ.

Reply 11 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

I don't complain about my d815eea2 board. Especially taken the price of 12 US Dollars including shipping. 😀
It's set up with V3-3500, 512mb Ram and YMF-724.
Just works like a champ.

Apparently it's not available at that price anymore, or at least not over here 😢

My first D815EEA was free, only had to repair it. The second one I got a little while later and was either for free also, or I got it from some machine I got for peanuts (like €5). This was a long time ago though and things were different.

Would've loved a D815EEA2, but I got plenty other spare suitable boards 😀 (mostly TUSL2-C iirc)

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Apparently it's not available at that price anymore, or at least not over here 😢

My first D815EEA was free, only had to repair it. The second one I got a little while later and was either for free also, or I got it from some machine I got for peanuts (like €5). This was a long time ago though and things were different.

Would've loved a D815EEA2, but I got plenty other spare suitable boards 😀 (mostly TUSL2-C iirc)

I was lucky getting my board. Nobody had bought it, as it was for sale during a period of nearly one year.
So I bought it as a hit or miss board, back in early 2015. (This was a local sales add)

Now I need to source an Asus/i815 of some sort, that has support for +1ghz and 133fsb. Isa does not matter.
I know they will pup up here, loacally. Only a matter of time.

Personally I like the 815 chipset on boards from the main makers of hardware.
It seems that it really does not matter if you find an Asus, Intel, Gigabyte or other big brands.
Unless you look at benchmark numbers alone. I think you won't notice +/- a few points when gaming UT99/Diablo-II
or any other games from 98 to 01. As long as the CPU is fast and it has a good GFX card. (V2-SLI, V3 or GF2)

Reply 13 of 19, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone is interested, I have Intel D815EEA2 to offer.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 14 of 19, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Dell Dimension 4100 series also used D815EEA motherboards.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 15 of 19, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D815EEA2 is the one I use and its great, very stable, fast and supports the Tualatin chips natively as well , the D815EEA is also good, but as stated before it was also used in the Dell Dimension 4100 , so you have to be careful with that.

on a personal level , I would avoid the VIA chipsets for the PIII , Ive tried a number of boards and have had all manner of problems , in comparison to the i815 chipset which was relatively hassle free.

Reply 16 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElementalChaos wrote:

Do these work with standard ATX PSUs?

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 19, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:

Do these work with standard ATX PSUs?

sadly they don't , they use that non standard Dell connection.

Reply 18 of 19, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for completeness, I had a slot version of the 933mhz/133mhz P3 and I had it running with zero issues on an ASUS P3V133

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 19 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going for the ASUS CUV-4X with the ISA Slot....as long as the guy accepts my offer..

The Intel board may be my secondary choice if I dont get the price accepted...

EDIT - I got the ASUS board and at a very good price I was happy with....