VOGONS

ITX and Win98

Topic actions

First post, by GigaG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been on a strange hunt for an ITX board that supports Windows 98. (Yes, I'm weird.)

I've found some of the old VIA boards, and some have floppy connectors, etc... but even the oldest ones only officially support Windows XP with drivers. Do any of them work with 98?

EDIT: If I was hell-bent on a tiny Win98 system, what about PC104/SBC type industrial computers?

Reply 6 of 30, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Aopen XC Cube which is a Pentium M barebones system that supports Windows 98 and it's ITX form factor. It's running Windows 98 with a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 or FX 5500. It's a great compact retro gaming system!

Reply 9 of 30, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why the obsession with VIA drivers? Just because they aren't there doesn't mean the board doesn't support Windows 98.
Roland recently removed support for older OSes from their website.
My SD-90 works from Windows 98 to Windows 8 yet you won't find the drivers at roland site...

Reply 16 of 30, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I mentioned I highly recommend a Pentium M based system which I believe is an 855GME chipset or something like that. Definately works with Windows 98 and it's about the fastest thing you'll be able to get to run Windows 98 without jumping through a lot of hoops.

Your not going to find anything brand new that still supports Windows 98 unless it is New Old Stock. Personally what I would do is go to ebay. Look under motherboards and CPU/Motherboard combo sections and just search for miniITX. Skip over all the listings that are too blatantly new then google for drivers for the chipset to see if there are any Windows 98 ones out there. Or better yet post some of the ones you are looking at on this thread and someone might comment if they have had good luck with them or not.

Basically I would start out with figuring out what you can find first, then see if it will work with 98, rather then asking people what they are using only to find out you won't even be able to find it.

Reply 17 of 30, by GigaG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

You really are lazy. I said Via download site, not product page.

http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

So basically I need to individually download the drivers based on the chipset?

Reply 18 of 30, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigaG wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

You really are lazy. I said Via download site, not product page.

http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

So basically I need to individually download the drivers based on the chipset?

Unless you can optain a piece of hardware which is either new old stock or at at least comes with the original driver CD then yes. It's pretty hard to find old drivers on manufacturer's websites sometimes even for hardware which supported older OSes at one time.

Reply 19 of 30, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really sorry to necro an old thread (please tell me if this is against the rules!), but I recently got a hold of a machine with a VIA EPIA-ML board, and I can confirm that not only does it have full Windows 98 drivers, the sound card even has some level of DOS Sound Blaster compatibility too apparently. I'm looking forward to trying it out!