Oldbie

Specs:
Win98SE
Asus P4P800-E
512MB DDR
3.4GHz Pentium 4
Geforce 6800GT
120GB IDE HDD

Problem #1 After messing with stuff in the bios and fighting with win98 i finally got it to install, well the problem is I cant use any usb keyboard or mouse at all or windows 98 freezes. So now stuck using ps/2 keyboard to navigate (what a pain) and yes usb legacy is set to enable.

Problem #2 Everytime I got into my computer it shows all my drives and folders are blank but explorer says i have items in there.

Problem #3 Audio, ethernet and firewire ports are enabled in bios, but device manager will not recognize them i don't even get new hardware popups at all, its like they don't exist.

Problem #4 In my device manager I have a question mark next to SCI IRQ used by ACPI and the error says: Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device, and therefore will never attempt to start this device again (Code 11). Could this be why none of my onboard devices will work at all?

Does anyone else have this board as well with win98? Could it be needing an updated intel driver?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 23, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't that system a bit too new to run Windows 98? It's fairly likely that the components use stuff for which Windows 98 (98 original or SE?) doesn't have drivers, and also the much increased speed over systems that were current when Windows 98 was still sold may cause problems. Have you checked the manufacturers' websites for drivers?

Reply 2 of 23, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just about every socket 478 has 98SE support and i have all drivers downloaded

Reply 3 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're out of ideas, I am always inclined to break out HIMEMX.

Particular emphasis is placed on this at http://www.flaterco.com/kb/W98.html and http://www.flaterco.com/kb/Z97W98/index.html .

Reply 4 of 23, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im thinking its a chipset driver issue i have an intel 865 chipset and the driver on intel's website will not work on 98 at all even tho it says it supports 98, but the thing is i have another intel board with the same chipset and everything on that work perfect under 98. So I tried updating the bios on my asus board to if that would work, but i cant flash it comes up with an error using uniflasher.

Edit: Never Mind the board in now crap flashed with wrong bios, ill just swap in my other known working board

Reply 5 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Isn't that system a bit too new to run Windows 98? It's fairly likely that the components use stuff for which Windows 98 (98 original or SE?) doesn't have drivers, and also the much increased speed over systems that were current when Windows 98 was still sold may cause problems. Have you checked the manufacturers' websites for drivers?

I'm running win98 on this: Win98 Socket 939 Voodoo 2 SLi Build! (a.k.a. Glide Overkill) and I encountered no issues whatsoever.

@OP - I had similar issues with a P4P800-X - it turns out the board was defective (it died a few days later). Here are some things you could try:

- set PnP OS in bios to "no" or "disabled"
- set "resources controlled by" to "manually"
- set "MPS Table revision" to 1.1
- set "ACPI support" to "disabled" (as a last resort, this might require you to reinstall windows).

Reply 6 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would test with Windows XP, see if you get similar issues. Could simply be a bad board. The undetected devices is a worry, often a sign of a bad board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 23, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did have xp on before i formated it for 98.

Hey Phil whats the device called that you have for flashing Bios chips and what is the adapter called for the micro bios chips?

Reply 8 of 23, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure the board doesn't have a boot block in case a BIOS flash goes awry? I've got an Asus Slot 1 board that had a bad BIOS flash. It was salvageable, thanks to the emergency boot block and a floppy drive.

Reply 9 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Hey Phil whats the device called that you have for flashing Bios chips and what is the adapter called for the micro bios chips?

I used to use the Genius, but this is the one I recommend now. The adapters for PLC chips come with it, but you can also buy them on eBay.

dscn2397-1_orig.jpg

Reply 10 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I used to use the Genius, but this is the one I recommend now. The adapters for PLC chips come with it, but you can also buy them on eBay.

Me, too. It's good to have both, though, incase only one of them supports a specific chip type.. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. I found that the Genius works great with newer chips. But with older EPROM chips for example, that require higher voltages to write, it can't do it.

Reply 12 of 23, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I originally purchased my P4P800 deluxe I installed Win98se on it before realising that it wasn't going to be good enough anymore for what I wanted the computer to be capable of.
I do remember having some issues though, mostly related to Win98 using a max of 15 IRQ's where XP would use 24.
I remember turning off everything I didn't need in the bios, serial, parallel, firewire, etc.
Maybe You have a conflict somewhere there causing the problem. You might need to go into safe mode and delete most devices that use IRQ's, and see if it sorts
itself out upon reboot.
I'm pretty certain I had it working ok eventually, but put xp on and never looked back after that.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13 of 23, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the same board a few months ago and was able to seamlessly install 98SE. You can find the drivers here https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/15/19/3/19/

Have you installed the unofficial SP for 98SE?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 23, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

Are you sure the board doesn't have a boot block in case a BIOS flash goes awry? I've got an Asus Slot 1 board that had a bad BIOS flash. It was salvageable, thanks to the emergency boot block and a floppy drive.

It does i think, it keeps flashing on the screen saying bad bios flash insert floppy disk with recovery, but i can find a bios for this board any where its the non deluxe board.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:
I used to use the Genius, but this is the one I recommend now. The adapters for PLC chips come with it, but you can also buy the […]
Show full quote
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

dscn2397-1_orig.jpg

Thanks ill have to try that out sometime and do you have a recommended way of pulling the chip off of this board, cuz I don't want to pry hard.

Reply 15 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Thanks ill have to try that out sometime and do you have a recommended way of pulling the chip off of this board, cuz I don't want to pry hard.

I believe it comes with a tool. Just check the listing, some have extra stuff bundled.

Reply 16 of 23, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If Your motherboard has 3 IDE sockets and 4 Sata ports then I think You will find it is actually a P4P800-E Deluxe and that
Asus just haven't written the word "Deluxe" on the motherboard.

As an example the standard P4P800 only has 2 of the 4 IDE sockets that the Deluxe model has.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 17 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, there is only one P4P800-E board, and it's the P4P800-E Deluxe. Not to be confused with the non-E (P4P800 Deluxe).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 18 of 23, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i used the p4p800-e deluxe bios and thats what bricked it. I did a little digging around and yea there is a plain p4p800-e board, its more similar to the p4c-800

Reply 19 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

i used the p4p800-e deluxe bios and thats what bricked it. I did a little digging around and yea there is a plain p4p800-e board

No, there isn't. There is a P4P800-E (Deluxe) which is 865PE-based and P4C800-E (Deluxe), which is 875P-based.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys