VOGONS

First post, by blacksvk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.
I got Voodoo2 (manufactured by Creative), but it appears to be not working (it it recognized by windows, but thats it. dxdiag freezes, glquake still run in software mode, glide demos from glide diagnostits kit freezes).

After I inspected the card, I propably found a few issues:
- capacitor C55 seems to be broken
- capacitor C104 seems to be broken as well
- capacitor C9 is missing

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/UE4Vw

I want to try to repair this card. Does anyone know the original values of these parts (or part numbers)?

Reply 1 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me those look like caps that are just for power bypassing, so nothing fancy. All look like ceramic caps. Physical size I can't tell from the picture.

Well it's possible the broken capacitor is now internally shorted so it is possible there's a supply voltage missing to some parts of the card. First and foremost I would remove the broken cap (or at least verify if it is shorted with a multimeter) so that a short circuit does not burn other parts of the card.

The smaller two caps could be 10nF or 100nF bypass caps. As you see there's one of them near every chip, maybe even one per power supply pin for a chip. And you see that some memory chips are not mounted but they still have those bypass caps near the missing chips, so missing one or two bypass caps should not be that fatal. Perhaps you could move capacitors that are now placed near missing chips to near mounted chips.

The larger missing cap is just for bulk storage, I suspect it has same rating as other caps that have similar size. It could be between 1uF or 10uF, maybe even up to 100uF. Voltage you can measure yourself with a multimeter, just pick next higher rating.

Reply 3 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anthony wrote:

Turn on logging in sst variable, then run any glide app in dos. You'll see what is wrong

Can you tell a bit more? I've two Voodoo1 cards that don't work. Physically they look fine.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 8, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is exist sst variable for logging card init. Don't remember exact name, but you'll easily find it out. After defining log file name it will be created every time after glide app launch in the same folder. Run log with working card, then with faulty, then compare logs

Reply 6 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blacksvk wrote:
Hello everyone. I got Voodoo2 (manufactured by Creative), but it appears to be not working (it it recognized by windows, but tha […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone.
I got Voodoo2 (manufactured by Creative), but it appears to be not working (it it recognized by windows, but thats it. dxdiag freezes, glquake still run in software mode, glide demos from glide diagnostits kit freezes).

After I inspected the card, I propably found a few issues:
- capacitor C55 seems to be broken
- capacitor C104 seems to be broken as well
- capacitor C9 is missing

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/UE4Vw

I want to try to repair this card. Does anyone know the original values of these parts (or part numbers)?

Best way to find the values for broken SMD ceramic capacitors is to de-solder other capacitors of the same size / color off the board and measure those with a capacitance meter. It's worked for me so far.