VOGONS

First post, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys. I've recently acquired an old Toshiba 400CDT and would like to improve on my dos experience. I want to improve my sound by investing in an MT-32. is it possible to connect it to the old laptop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceRRHqRJGrA&hd=1

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 1 of 7, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anyone?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 2 of 7, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe one of the PCMCIA sound cards pictured here?
PCMCIA Sound Cards
Not all of those have midi ports, but some do.
My only experience is with USB-to-midi cables on a modern laptop, so I can't advise on what might work best for your 400CDT.

Reply 4 of 7, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ampera wrote:

Idk. MT-32 is really more for older DOS machines. Didn't stop anybody, but MT-32s are not really intended for laptops.

i like the sound from the mt-32 for games such as heretic and aoe? is there a way. i see that the docking station has a joystick port. would that work with breakaway cables?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 5 of 7, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maverick85 wrote:

i see that the docking station has a joystick port. would that work with breakaway cables?

Hard to say; the manual might say whether or not the port supports MIDI, or calls it a "MIDI/Gameport" or something like that. If it doesn't I might think no, but the breakout cables are cheap enough that I would say its worth a shot (unless you don't have the docking station and you would be buying the docking station just for that).

An interesting idea, and this is coming from me who likes to do things the interesting but hard way, would be to use an Arduino or similar (Teensyduino is great) as a RS232 serial (38400 baud) to MIDI (31250 baud) adapter, and then connecting it to the serial port of the laptop and MIDI in of the MT32. Use softmpu to output on the COM port...

Reply 6 of 7, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just interested if anyone has ever done this for their laptops and if it is indeed possible?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 7 of 7, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Straight from the maintenance manual:
Enhanced port replicator port
Enables connection of an enhanced port replicator. The enhanced port replicator has
two PC card slots (Type III), and expands connections to the following devices: PS/2
keyboard, PS/2 mouse, serial port, parallel port, external CRT, joystick/MIDI port,
audio line-in, audio line-out, headphone, external FDD, AC-in, and AC-out.

RJDog was right, you'll need the port replicator model PA2711U, that will give you a joystick/MIDI port to plug your future MT-32 into, or a SC-55.
A PCMCIA card with MIDI IN/OUT ports would work as well while using some RAM in the process. Note that the few PCMCIA joysticks interface cards out there, even if they work perfectly for joysticks under DOS, only support MIDI in Win9x with the correct DB15 to MIDI cables.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics