VOGONS

"Delid" AMD K6?

Topic actions

First post, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi members 😀

I have seen people delid K6 CPUs for better overclocking potential.

But it is risky as you can chip it when installing the cooler.

I was wandering about delid and then put new paste like Coollaboratory Liquid Pro and put the lid back?
My idea is to maybe put a copper lid back. 😊

Reply 1 of 39, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Don't use Liquid Pro or ultra. If you do this use something like liquid copper or mx7. Liquid ultra and pro will eat the ihs.

Anyway your better off with a better heat sink. Like a socket A heatsink

Reply 3 of 39, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It's called cpu deliding or cpu delid.
It's very common with some CPUs for overclocking and benchmarking.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-d … dded-club-guide

Not really worth it on a k6 if you ask me. We have socket A heatsinks nowadays and much better tims. No point in deliding one unless if your were going for a world record over clock. Even then there is tec chillers

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-21, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 39, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My k6-3+ is delided, bought it that way. It can do 6x100 and i didn't try it any further. But i don't think it will go any higher than a ''normal'' one.
As has been said: we have great coolers now and these are mobiles so heat will not be a big problem.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 39, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heat is not the limiting factor for OC of any K6... except maybe the 250nm K6-III. Ane even then is the ~50 MHz gain worth the risk of killing perfectly good CPU? I don't think so.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9 of 39, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
havli wrote:

Heat is not the limiting factor for OC of any K6... except maybe the 250nm K6-III. Ane even then is the ~50 MHz gain worth the risk of killing perfectly good CPU? I don't think so.

License to this guy. He knows his stuff. Your problem is probably voltage, ram chipset or a problem with a PCI card if you have a Anthon heat sink on the cpu.

Reply 10 of 39, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for liquid cooling.

With liquid nitrogen if possible. 😁

Does anyone remember those videos where they plunged an entire system (well apart from the PSU and drives) in a box filled with liquid nitrogen, and the crazy overclocks they got? The only problem is that it will destroy the system eventually.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 39, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Go for liquid cooling.

Does anyone remember those videos where they plunged an entire system (well apart from the PSU and drives) in a box filled with liquid nitrogen, and the crazy overclocks they got? The only problem is that it will destroy the system eventually.

Eventually if you do that, the components get too cold to even boot anymore.

The slightly more reasonable, but still bat crap crazy idea is to dunk an entire system into Mineral oil.

man I should do that with a 486-DX4-100/120 build, get a tank, and just have the mineral oil passively cool it all. Maybe add a fan to circulate the oil.

Reply 12 of 39, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have never seen any actual measurements showing better cooling in those circumstances; i believe the oil still has to be moved quickly in order to help the cooling process; imho just for shows;

Reply 13 of 39, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

i have never seen any actual measurements showing better cooling in those circumstances; i believe the oil still has to be moved quickly in order to help the cooling process; imho just for shows;

Not true. Mineral Oil can take heat away from a surface better than air. It's a common coolant for lots of stuff.

Reply 15 of 39, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mrau wrote:

that s not even an answer to what i said; also air is most often used as coolant, hence it must be an even better coolant than mineral oil;

And Toyota is the most used car there for its the best car... 🤣
Air is the most used method for cooling as it cheap, easy and gets the job done.

Oil submerging can be better then air but can also get hotter in the long run. It's better for when you use the system for shot time frames. Longer run times and your need a heat exchanger. Old submerging also costs a lot and mucks up your pars and as such is not really used much.

LN2 and DICE can hit sub zero and then some, Dice is around -50c. Tec chillers can get around -10c and liquid is around 45-50c full load with a overclocked 120w cpu.
Not sure about the temps reached with LN2 as I never used it before.

stamasd wrote:

typically you don't plunge a system In LN2 but fill a pot/pipe with it that's attached to a cpu/gpu.

Reply 16 of 39, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
stamasd wrote:

typically you don't plunge a system In LN2 but fill a pot/pipe with it that's attached to a cpu/gpu.

Except you run into problems with condensation/frost at the thermal interface and around it if you do so. By submerging the whole motherboard in LN2 you avoid water condensing and potentially shorting adjacent traces. It's a problem with any cooling system that decreases the temperature below the dew point of the surrounding air.

And no, don't even think of covering the whole motherboard in putty. 😵

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 17 of 39, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
mrau wrote:

that s not even an answer to what i said; also air is most often used as coolant, hence it must be an even better coolant than mineral oil;

And Toyota is the most used car there for its the best car... 🤣
Air is the most used method for cooling as it cheap, easy and gets the job done.

i would kindly ask that you first understand the conversation and then comment;

Reply 18 of 39, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:

I absolutely agree with this...thanks to personal experience 😒

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 19 of 39, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Go for liquid cooling.

Eventually if you do that, the components get too cold to even boot anymore.

In fact it may end up so cold that less resistant materials may shatter in a million pieces with only a little tap. Including any body parts in the way of a substantial leak.