VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to get into this but kinda ignorant about it. If you want to benchmark using a certain game how do you go about doing it? Do they make utilities that combine the game and benchmark program or do you get them separately?

Note: upgraded my win10 rig and tried an alien v.s predator benchmark for dx11 but got errors stating certain dx11 dll files not found. Figured dx12 was backwards compatible somewhat but guess not. Shame cause wanted to see how the game looked with my new video card.

Understand this can be a deep subject so if you know of any sites that would shed some light on this stuff please list them - thanks!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 2, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are specific benchmark utilities, watch a few reviews by LinusTechTips and you will find some modern ones.

Games like Tomb Raider (2013) have built in benchmarking tools that will spit out an FPS count. Some games (Like doom) had you run a timed gamedemo, and using some calculations of gameticks vs realticks, you could figure out the amount of frames that were rendered, and thus, the average FPS count.

Some games aren't this nice, so in some of them you will have to devise your own tests (A specific cut-scene in the game, or a location that is particularly demanding) and record the framerate using something like FRAPS or Bandicam. (Or overwolf if your so inclined, but it's cancer on earth, do not use it).

Often benchmarking tools will be the easiest, some DOS benching tools also exist too like PC Player, 3DBench, and as you go through the ages you will find better benchmarks.

Reply 2 of 2, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a good read here https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-download-inst … directx-2624489

You will need to install dx11 and dx9 versions to run some games and benchmarks in Windows 10. 3DMark Timespy is a dx12 benchmark.
I'm not sure if You need to run Windows update or get the files manually. In Windows 7 a manual install of dx9 was required for older games and
even new ones that were only dx9. Many of the COD series has been dx9 only.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.