VOGONS

First post, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope I am not breaking any rules with this topic, if so please let me know and be merciful 😁

Back to the topic - I have tested Celeron 220 (original clock 1200Mhz) vs Celeron Tualatin 1200Mhz. Same brand, same clock, six years of difference. Results are pretty interesting. Text is in polish but charts are self-explanatory. Hope you enjoy.

http://kva.pl/index.php?link=artykul&id_a=6

Last edited by kva on 2017-09-04, 14:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 1 of 8, by bhtooefr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some of the tests, the Merom clearly massacres the Tualatin.

Some tests, though, it's surprisingly close... I wonder how a P3-M 1200, to match the L2 cache, and get the FSB closer, would do.

Reply 2 of 8, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is the matter of instructions. When SSE2 is used Tualatin has no chance. But in plain x86 the difference is not so big. The same situation will be with P3. But some day I will make that comparision 😀

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 4 of 8, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... It is only CPU "review", GPU on Celeron 220 board sucks. Both in terms of speed and compability. So if you want to play old games old hardware is better for sure.

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 5 of 8, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but you don't have to use the onboard gpu or do you? my impression from old times is i was always missing cpu power/ memory and storage performance; a stronger gpu only improves up to a certain point; responsiveness is almost alway improved by cpu only;

Reply 6 of 8, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

interesting test

memory performance is also not even comparable as expected (DDR, high and quad fsb)

also, the 661 is probably not one of the faster chipsets for it, I think even 945GC would have a decent performance lead for memory performance.

well, at the end of the day the 220 is a dual core with one core disabled, a CPU well capable of running at 2.4-3GHz but sold at 1.2GHz
the potential CPU on that die wouldn't even be worth comparing to the Tualatin, but on this low cost/power configuration it made for an interesting competitor in some of the tests, interesting to look for "IPC" improvements and such.

Reply 7 of 8, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SPBHM wrote:

well, at the end of the day the 220 is a dual core with one core disabled, a CPU well capable of running at 2.4-3GHz but sold at 1.2GHz
the potential CPU on that die wouldn't even be worth comparing to the Tualatin, but on this low cost/power configuration it made for an interesting competitor in some of the tests, interesting to look for "IPC" improvements and such.

That was my goal 😀

VIA C3 vs VIA C7

Reply 8 of 8, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What games should I use to compare this CPUs? GPU will be GT 8500 PCI (Sparkle) so not very powerful but usable.

VIA C3 vs VIA C7