VOGONS

First post, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What PCI video cards would work well in a Asus proprietary small form factor Mini NLX system?

The system has limited air flow due to the small case and the power supply may not be powerful enough to power high-end PCI graphics cards. Further requirements:
- Fits in a single PCI slot.
- Passively cooled, or with a fan that is powered from the card itself (fan no higher than single slot into which card is inserted).
- Good 2D performance, 3D less important.
- DOS-compatible.
- Compatible with SiS 5598 chipset.
- 4 Mb or more.

Originally, the system concerned could be bought with an optional ATI 3D Charger or Canopus Spectra 3200. What else could work?

Reply 1 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found some super slim ATI Rage based cards in old servers. Usually nothing more than a Rage chip and some RAM on a PCB the width of two fingers together. They work as well as any Rage of whatever model they are. Start looking at whatever obsolete 1U gear the data centers & universities in your area are tossing out. You can even DIY cut down the panel bracket.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

- Good 2D performance, 3D less important.

That should make it pretty straight forward.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I've found some super slim ATI Rage based cards in old servers. Usually nothing more than a Rage chip and some RAM on a PCB the width of two fingers together. They work as well as any Rage of whatever model they are. Start looking at whatever obsolete 1U gear the data centers & universities in your area are tossing out. You can even DIY cut down the panel bracket.

The card can be a normal width PCI card, the Asus board uses a riser for the two PCI slots. Only the length of the card could be a problem, full-size cards won't fit.

Considering the limited expansion possibilities of this system, maybe I should go with an early ATI All-In-Wonder...

Reply 4 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
xjas wrote:

The card can be a normal width PCI card, the Asus board uses a riser for the two PCI slots. Only the length of the card could be a problem, full-size cards won't fit.

Considering the limited expansion possibilities of this system, maybe I should go with an early ATI All-In-Wonder...

The ones I have are barely longer than the AGP header, I'm sure you can find the same thing in PCI pretty easily. Hell, you can buy this one new from Newegg if you want:
A4UB_131251156111403527K1XOz7eCc7.jpg

I even have one here with composite video out. I'd offer to send it to you but it's AGP.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to avoid sellers from China selling "new old stock" cards, if possible. I also looked into getting a PCI PCMCIA adapter card for this system, found them cheap on Ebay, then found pictures of the original card that the Chinese seller was supposedly selling, and the original card looked nothing like the one sold by the Ebay seller, which was clearly an inferior copy (different color, layout and shape of the PCB, less components, etc.).

Reply 6 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the pics in the other thread i think most pci cards will fit, just not the fastest (biggest) ones.

It's only a pentium so you don't need a very fast one. Personally i would try to find a matrox g200 or something like that for that system. A voodoo banshee would be perfect imho but they are harder to find/expensive in pci.

In my p1 mmx system i use a Diamond viper 330 (riva128 4mb) pci card together with a voodoo1. Runs perfectly, i use it for dos and 98se. Before this i used a S3 Virge, runs fine too but i prefer the viper now.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 7, by SuperDuty455

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The smallest PCI video card I know (and own) is this Miro Trio64V+ 2Mb. It's really tiny as it doesn't extend further than the PCI connector. It's not powerful but should be good for your use. :
miro-V22SD-2_ml.JPG