VOGONS

First post, by c64z80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It sounds pretty confusing written down and I have it pictured in my head but I will try to explain 😜

I saw a vanilla 286 for sale today at the local car boot for dirt cheap but without the HD. However the only interface it uses is the SDSI attached to an ISA card on which the serial ports are too.

The only SDSI hard drives I can find are from the US and they are insanely expensive but I came across a cheap ISA 16bit IDE card on ebay.
The seller also says this will work on machines as old as the original PC as the seller puts it "However, making this work on an 8-bit slot requires some circuitry to chop the 16-bit data into 8-bit chunks for the bus to handle." So I think it is 8bit too?

I was thinking of plugging this into the 286 and from this card have an IDE to compact flash adapter. The CF card I will be using is around 32MB or maybe a little higher like 64-120MB if the BIOS allows.

The questions running around in my head are:

1) Do you guyshave experience of such a setup and would it work without a hitch or would there be compatibility or power problems along the line?

2.) I should mention that I see 2 types of IDE>CF adapters, one which uses the floppy connector for power and the others which say that they draw power from the IDE connector itself... but with the IDE connector being on an ISA card I am not too sure about this either.

3.) Assuming everything goes great I am thinking the way to put software onto the computer would be to power it down once everything is installed, unplugging the CF card and putting software onto it from the laptop, then plugging it back into the computer... instead of relying on floppies except to install DOS. Is this a good idea too?

And, sorry for all my questions. These are ones I cannot find good answers for on google mainly because I cannot find ansers for this steup. I know a bit about each item individually but not together like this. I have never even looked inside a computer this far back except on youtube videos but if it is still there tomorrow when I go back I would love to get it working with DOS and old games/programs 😁

Thank you 😀

Last edited by c64z80 on 2016-12-30, 01:35. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I prefer IDE hard drives, but this has been done many times before. If a hard drive is out of the question, CF is your best bet.

And CF needs only around signal voltage to power, but buy what you think will work, and do your homework.

Reply 2 of 5, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can tell you how I installed an 600/640 mb harddrive in my 80286, that came with MFM harddrive and an old Pheonix BIOS.
I used these following parts and software.

- Standard 16 bit IDE controller. (Non Enhanced and not buffered)
- Standard IDE harddrive at 600 to 640 megabyte in size. (non ultra ata, just plain old IDE drive)
- A dynamic drive overlay, that are compatible with the drive manufactor

First, I set the BIOS at the highest number. This is a fixed number, because the BIOS/PC is so old, that there is no user-defined one for heads, tracks and what not. So basically set at typpe 47 in the Phoenix BIOS. Then I disabled every port on the IDE controller, except the IDE ports. This is because the ports are present onboard on the 286 machine. Even the Floppy. So yeah... Disabling ports in order not to get conflicts.

Did all the hardware installation, and finished it off by installing the Dynamic Drive Overlay. This will correct the conflicts between the harddrives size and the harddrive type, that were set in the BIOS. And finished it off by installing MS-Dos 6.22 on my 80286 with 640 kb Ram.

I bet you can do this with allmost any type of CF cards, up to one gigabyte or something like that. Perhaps just install a 512mb card, because you know, how much software that are large in size, can a 286 use anyway. 😁

EDIT:
If you have trouble sourcing a harddrive, then you might be able to use a Seagate drive at the size of 120gb as the standard size, you can then modefy the drive size, using Seatools LIVE cd on something like a P4 machine and set the size to 512mb. This is only a thought I have, as I have only modded them from 120gb to 32gb, for use in old Socket7 systems that can not use larger drives than 32gb or something like that.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 5, by c64z80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK thank you both and for your very detailed reply Brostenen 😀

The 286 was still there today so I snagged it (yay!, maybe I will post pictures if I do not blow it up by accident 😜) but I see that it has 1MB of protected memory (640k base memory with 384k expansion with chips in motherboard) but I would like to add more if possible as all the chip slots are filled up with memory. Looking on eBay I see ISA memory expansion cards XMS that have 2MB but it says that it is designed for the 8088 and XT computers.

Would these cards still work in the 286? and does it matter if the card is 8 or 16 bit ISA? (the slots themselves are 16bit)

Reply 4 of 5, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c64z80 wrote:

OK thank you both and for your very detailed reply Brostenen 😀

The 286 was still there today so I snagged it (yay!, maybe I will post pictures if I do not blow it up by accident 😜) but I see that it has 1MB of protected memory (640k base memory with 384k expansion with chips in motherboard) but I would like to add more if possible as all the chip slots are filled up with memory. Looking on eBay I see ISA memory expansion cards XMS that have 2MB but it says that it is designed for the 8088 and XT computers.

Would these cards still work in the 286? and does it matter if the card is 8 or 16 bit ISA? (the slots themselves are 16bit)

I myself am a bit stumped on how those work. There are tons of resources, Wikipedia may be your friend here.

Reply 5 of 5, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks.....
Regarding the mem cards. I have no idea on how they actually work. I think that there should be at least one Vogon user that knows how they work.

You might want to do a seperate tread on this or simply search Vogons for more information. There has to be at least something here.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011