VOGONS

Graphics card question Pentium one

Topic actions

First post, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of purchasing a very rare 3d 16mb PCI graphics card (New and unopened) for my Pentium 133mhz. It says it requires Windows 98 and a Pentium 2 or compatible system (Direct x7). I have windows 98se currently installed will it still work on my Pentium one? I know there will be bottleneck but I just want to use a card no one has reviewed before and put a video on youtube.(Unboxing and benchmarks). I mainly use the system for dos gaming and currently have a Trio 64v 1mb.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 30, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. And despite your obfuscation, it's most likely not rare and likely from 1998, a period when Pentiums were still being widely used including with similar 3d cards. A card that truly would require a P2 and DX7 would be of 2000-gen stuff (i.e. Geforce256/GF2, Radeon7x00) and those never shipped in a 16mb configuration - but typically 32-64mb. - and even then it's possible to run a geforce2mx on a 486-class CPU, someone here's already done it.

So what are you going to review? A Vanta? 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Yes. And despite your obfuscation, it's most likely not rare and likely from 1998, a period when Pentiums were still being widely used including with similar 3d cards. A card that truly would require a P2 and DX7 would be of 2000-gen stuff (i.e. Geforce256/GF2, Radeon7x00) and those never shipped in a 16mb configuration - but typically 32-64mb. - and even then it's possible to run a geforce2mx on a 486-class CPU, someone here's already done it.

So what are you going to review? A Vanta? 😀

There are only 5 left on ebay so I cant say which card in case they all sell, as soon as I make purchase early next week I will put the link from ebay and explain which model it is. Even Wikipedia says little is known. I cant find any old magazines to find a price but it must have been expensive back in 1999.

Reply 4 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok just bought one, 4 left now.

Jaton Video 117 PCI 16mb VGA Video Card

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252696759945?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Blade3D (1999) - first performance-competitive Windows 3D-accelerators
Blade T16 9950 - little known (Wikipedia)

Reply 5 of 30, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a boxed card I think it's a good price. I wouldn't expect anything amazing out of the card, but it should offer a solid experience. Keen to hear your take on it when you get it.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

For a boxed card I think it's a good price. I wouldn't expect anything amazing out of the card, but it should offer a solid experience. Keen to hear your take on it when you get it.

I was actually thinking of sending it to you to review, I live Sydney Australia. Just watching vids now actually on 3DFX VOODOO difference 🤣

Reply 7 of 30, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kalloggs40 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I was actually thinking of sending it to you to review, I live Sydney Australia. Just watching vids now actually on 3DFX VOODOO difference 🤣

🤣 Awesome

I think I do a have a Blade 3D, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
kalloggs40 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

🤣 Awesome

I think I do a have a Blade 3D, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Ok I will buy another now and send it you, it wont arrive till late January estimated by ebay. So you will have it early feb, can you Pm your address and I will send by courier, plus redelivery fee paid if your not home they will leave a card to call them back and arrange a suitable time to re deliver.

Reply 10 of 30, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Extended Christmas for Phil! 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

Extended Christmas for Phil! 🤣

The mans a genius. The only voice and person to review a card that no one knows anything about, i have searched for 6hrs last night couldnt get any info on that particular model except for whats written on the box. The archived webpages had nothing about performance, who would use it, or how much it cost. Maybe the company didnt even retail the T16.

Reply 13 of 30, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Trident card requiring a PII? Is this a winGPU card (remember those WinModems which didn't have an onboard processor and ate away at your CPU)?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

A Trident card requiring a PII? Is this a winGPU card (remember those WinModems which didn't have an onboard processor and ate away at your CPU)?

Yeah its strange no one has ever seen one, cant find any images of the card, guess we will wait for the unboxing by phil. Thats why i bought one out of curiousity actually. I have a feeling it was never released to the public, maybe for graphic studios or university computers. I remember i bought an Apple G3 desktop from a graphics studio. I found out the card wasnt for gaming so i threw it out. Only to find out it was worth like $4000 back in the day.

Reply 16 of 30, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose this is a 'regular' Blade: https://youtu.be/3mvtBBV3N4k
I hope the T16 is considerably better than this one, because this one seems to be pretty buggy.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 17 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scali wrote:

I suppose this is a 'regular' Blade: https://youtu.be/3mvtBBV3N4k
I hope the T16 is considerably better than this one, because this one seems to be pretty buggy.

Its a different chip to the others according to wikipedia and also 16mb, the only way to know for sure is looking at the actual chips to see if they are similar to other 3d blades. Thanks for sharing the video.

Reply 18 of 30, by kalloggs40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to VGA museum its in the list:

List of most wanted cards i'm missing in mine collection

3Dfx Velocity 100, Voodoo 4, any profi version from Quantum3D
3Dlabs GLINT (Creative 3D Blaster VLB), any card with GLINT300SX, all profi cards with various GLINT chips i don't own.
Chromatic Mpact!
Intel - Real3D Starfighter PCI, i752, i754
Number Nine - Imagine 128, Imagine 128 II, Revolution 3D WRAM version
NVIDIA NV1
PowerVR Midas 3, PCX1, PCX2, VideoLogic Neon 250
Rendition Verite 1000
S3 Chrome - any model (except Deltachrome S8), Savage XP
SiS - 300, Xabre 80, 600
Trident 3DImage 9850, Blade T16, T64, Blade XP - any model

Reply 19 of 30, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a cut down version of the trident blade xp with 64 bit bus like the t64, i guess the name comes from the 16 mb onboard ram. If i'm not wrong will give voodoo 2 class performance.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)