VOGONS

First post, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, last night I was messing around with my new pentium 2 build and the motherboard only has 2 usb ports. I tried to install a via 5 port usb 2.0 pci card and somehow borked it up. I have removed the via pci card and now the motherboards usb ports are no longer recognizing anything I plug into it. Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling windows? I have installed the motherboards chipset drivers and the usb controller is part of those drivers. Device manager is showing that everything is installed and in working order. Can anyone shoot me some troubleshooting tips on getting this to work again?

asus p3b-f, intel pIII 1000/133/256 thermaltake golden orb, 2x crucial 256mb pc133, nvidia geforce 3, aureal vortex 2, IDE to SD adapter samsung 128gb evo
asus p3v4x, intel pIII 650/100/256, 256mb pc133, 3dfx voodoo 3 3ooo, awe64 value!, 80gb hdd

Reply 1 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

uh, Reinstall windows?

Lol, Idk that's a hard one. USB was very early on then, and had some issues on Wintel platforms.

You could try completely removing every single USB driver regardless of where or what it is and trying to install generic drivers from scratch. Your gonna wanna check IRQ stuff, but if that doesn't work, backup and reinstall is your best fix-all. Grab a soda (or beer) and sit it out for a few hours. It's probably gonna take less time than trying to debug drivers, and I've reinstalled operating systems on a whim many times before (My ABIT board has seen it all)

Reply 2 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would delete all USB-related stuff from Device Manager, then reboot. Let Windows find the USB hardware to reinstall the USB port drivers. See if that fixes anything.

Reply 3 of 7, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm at work now but as soon as I get home I will try to remove all the usb devices and search for the installed drivers and reboot. I hope I can get this fixed quickly

asus p3b-f, intel pIII 1000/133/256 thermaltake golden orb, 2x crucial 256mb pc133, nvidia geforce 3, aureal vortex 2, IDE to SD adapter samsung 128gb evo
asus p3v4x, intel pIII 650/100/256, 256mb pc133, 3dfx voodoo 3 3ooo, awe64 value!, 80gb hdd

Reply 4 of 7, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i ended up giving up on trying to fix it, with no networking and no blank cd-r's to burn, i just reinstalled windows and found the correct drivers for the pci usb card, its all working now, but i have made a complete backup of my windows installation, this way if i bork something up in the future i can just delete and copy my backup over, thanks for the help guys

Reply 6 of 7, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Eendje wrote:

It took me a while before I found a working usb adapter. Most usb adapters have a VIA chipset that seems incompatible with Intel 440BX motherboards. What chipset is your motherboard?

I ran in the same problem when trying to install my regular USB drivers and ended up with 4 sets of drivers I tried (universal ones mind you). The ones that work for me are primarily designed for Windows 95 OSR (linky). These drivers also worked somehow when I put in a USB PCI card or windows just recognized the card on its own i dunno (was testing the card for problems)

Reply 7 of 7, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eendje wrote:

It took me a while before I found a working usb adapter. Most usb adapters have a VIA chipset that seems incompatible with Intel 440BX motherboards. What chipset is your motherboard?

sorry it took so long to reply, my motherboard is a micro star ms-6111 and the chipset is the intel 440LX, im at work right now so i cant tell you what chipset the via usb card is using