VOGONS

First post, by jmusic_man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I need some assistance: does anyone know what the extra PSU connector is about on my IBM PS/1 486SX33 2155 mobo? I don't recall this being standard for AT PSUs. The computer has started to shut down randomly and then not come on again until it 'feels ready' (without even touching the power button). I'd like to replace the PSU - but not sure if a standard AT PSU will work.

I can only find reference for it a few places online. Listed as J30 and 'power supply connector'. Also, J29 appears to be connected to the front panel power button? Weird!

Let me know if you know what this is!

Thanks all,
James

ibmpsu.png
Filename
ibmpsu.png
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couldn't that be just the capacitors getting old ?
My 8088 became unstable after a few minutes running, and I had to wait for a while before it stops crashing. Changed the capacitors : rock stable. I ran it for hours without any problems. Same thing with my pcchips 486 (no it was not due to the poor quality motherboard 🤣). After recapping, no more problems.

I'm just giving my point of view, of course you can change it if you want. In that case, ampera's piece of advice is what you should follow

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Couldn't that be just the capacitors getting old ?
My 8088 became unstable after a few minutes running, and I had to wait for a while before it stops crashing. Changed the capacitors : rock stable. I ran it for hours without any problems. Same thing with my pcchips 486 (no it was not due to the poor quality motherboard 🤣). After recapping, no more problems.

I'm just giving my point of view, of course you can change it if you want. In that case, ampera's piece of advice is what you should follow

With an AT PSU it's probably easier to replace it than replace the caps.

Reply 4 of 13, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If they're using standard color codes, I'd say the red wire is 5+, black is ground, and grey is probably PWR OK (Like an ATX power supply).

[EDIT]

That screw and tinning look rusty.

Reply 5 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NEVER trust colours. It's a lot easier and cheaper to just test it than to be wrong and have a boned machine.

It's even cheaper to go out and BUY a dinky little multimeter and measure it than it is to loose an IBM PS/1. 120USD is more than 20 bucks.

Reply 6 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need a Fluke or anything, but if you're working with retro hardware, it's a great idea to invest in a decent multimeter, ideally not from Harbour Freight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoeUgMFLyAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WGaiYF2sk

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 13, by jmusic_man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all for the thoughtful responses!

Looks like I'll be investing in a multimeter and keeping you posted.

Also, I think I have a lead on a possible replacement PSU with the proprietary connector. Will see!

James

Reply 8 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmusic_man wrote:
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses! […]
Show full quote

Thanks all for the thoughtful responses!

Also, I think I have a lead on a possible replacement PSU with the proprietary connector. Will see!

James

I'd personally trust an off the shelf modern PSU. AT Power supplies are still sold brand new and working with old tech on Newegg.

Reply 9 of 13, by jmusic_man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ordered my multimeter.

I think I found a clue on PSU label: do you think 'Aux +5v 20mA' is the 3-pin connector in question?

Attachments

• IMG_5995.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5995.JPG
    File size
    1.98 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmusic_man wrote:

Ordered my multimeter.

I think I found a clue on PSU label: do you think 'Aux +5v 20mA' is the 3-pin connector in question?

As said, test, don't guess.

If it does supply 5v, just make a split off a molex or other 5v connector and into that connector.

DO NOT test current without a load. If you seriously want to test that, you are going to need to turn the machine on, strip a bit of insulation somewhere up the wire, and measure it that way. Otherwise you can blow the meter. I don't think 20mA will blow anything, but don't bother with current anyways. It's probably not that much.

Reply 11 of 13, by Snoozer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmusic_man wrote:

Hi James, did you ever find out which wire was the standby +5v? I have the same motherboard in my PS/1 and the power supply has gone dead. I want to wire up an ATX supply but this particular connector has me stumped. I'm afraid of getting these wires mixed up and frying the board.

Reply 12 of 13, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old post, but my PSU just died, and I was having the same problem. Black (left) is ground, Violet (center) is on/off, Yellow (right) is 5V standby (always on) power. I am currently making an adapter cable for a standard ATX > PS/1 (AT based) connector.

Reply 13 of 13, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, further to the above. Mine has different colors. So in the original post the J30 connector's black is ground, grey is on/off, red is +5VSB. J29 is the on/off switch at the front which would pass the signal to grey.