VOGONS

First post, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Gurus, 🤣

😳 Okay... I am almost done with my Setup for this P1 retro setup.

This is my motherboard spec:- http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AM … um-PM-8600.html
Here's the Specification:-
P1 233 Mhz MMX,
4x 32MB EDO RAM, 2X 64MB SD RAM,
ISA 1 - ESS1868F Soundcard with DreamBlaster X1 Wavetable (1st ISA SLOT, towards the end of the board)
3 ISA Slots Empty
PCI 1 - S3 Virge (4MB MAX)
PCI 2 - Intel Network 10/100 Server Card
PCI 3 - Via RAID Controller (for my 1TB SATA harddisk.. only 1)
PCI 4 - 3dfx Voodoo 1 4MB.

My concern are...
BIOS%20PNP_PCI_ISA1.jpeg
BIOS%20PNP_PCI_ISA2.jpeg
BIOS%20PNP_PCI_ISA3.jpeg
BIOS%20PNP_PCI_ISA4.jpeg

BIOS

1. PCI IDE IRQ MAP TO : ISA , PCI-SLOT1 , PCI-SLOT1 , PCI-SLOT1 , PCI-SLOT1 , PCI-SLOT1 , PCI-AUTO
When I set to AUTO
I was having trouble with my Network card. It shows connected but ping have dropped latency.
I play around the Network Settings, even changing the Network Speed.... but Still No go.
However, when I set to ISA.... WinXP detected and install some ISA IDE drivers. I'm not sure about performance, but it does fix my Network Issue.
Any Idea what this actually does?
I tried googling, but it give me this...:-
PCI IDE IRQ Map to

This field enables you to select PCI IDE IRQ mapping or PC AT (ISA) interrupts. If your system does not have one or two PCI IDE connectors on the system board, select values according to the type of IDE interface(s) installed in your system (PCI or ISA). Standard ISA interrupts for IDE channels are IRQ 14 for primary and IRQ 15 for secondary.
(http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article … =27188&seqNum=8)

Will this effect overall performance for the Harddisk? 😢
FYI, I have 2 CF-card in one IDE and the other normal IDE cable for Harddisk + CDROM.
Will this effect Read-Write Performance?

2. PCI IRQ Activated By : Level , Edge
Google Give me, closest:-
Leave the IRQ trigger set at Level unless the PCI device assigned to the interrupt specifies edge-triggered interrupts.
(http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article … =27188&seqNum=8)

I try to look around , but unfortunately, No Go. So I'm not sure if this will impact performance.
However, when I put Level, my VIA RAID works fine (I do not have any RAID setup in place, I just want this PCI card to access to my 1 TB Harddisk in XP and 98)
If I put Edge, when I boot my WinXP, right after WinXP Loading screen disappear, it shows *blank* Screen. 😵
But if I disconnect the SATA RED cable, it will resume loading XP directly into the Desktop, like a charm.

Why? Do I need Edge? Is this okay to set to Level? (For now, it is set to Level) 😀

MEMORY

3. I have both SD RAM and EDO RAM installed MAX.
RAM detected was 192 MB RAM.

My BIOS also tells me this...
BIOS%20PNP_PCI_ISA5.jpeg

Sync. DRAM, means.. it uses both EDO and SDRAM?
Will this give me MAX performance? 😈 😲 😀

Do share your experience/advice.... Apprecaite it! 😀 And Happy New Year2017/Merry Xmas 2016 to all of u! 🤣

Reply 1 of 9, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😳 😮 😕

OMG.. OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!
I AM SOOOO HAPPY AND SUPRISED
I Enabled my VIA USB in BIOS.. and it work flawlessly!! 🤣

BIOS_VIA_USB.jpeg

Previously, I couldn't do this at all! Everytime I enable USB-CHIP in BIOS, My XP/98/95 will hang at startup. It wont boot to Desktop at all. EVEN Safe Mode FAIL!!!
I was frustrated because Keyboard/Mouse for PS2 in my area, are hard to fine. My Mouse, I still have to use a ball type.

Thank GOD, I just tested this, and now it work with my modern logitech infra-red mouse! I cannot wait to get a USB keyboard for this! HALLELUYAH!
I am Very Certain now, this USB will only work with this settings :- Level + ISA.

THANK GOD!!!

Reply 2 of 9, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 😊 😊 🤣 🤣 😎

Okay.. I just tested this.. But I just couldn't help it, because I explode in JOY!
I JUST had to SHARE...
The USB works with Wireless Keyboard and Mouse... 😁
It also works with my Belkin 7 ports USB extender and my USB JoyPad.... 🤣

I never tested it with Windows 98 nor DOS yet....

Although I haven't do a full testing yet... but it works like a regular USB port! 😉
I never knew such an ancient Pentium 1 motherboard, with 2 limited USB board, will work with today's modern USB Wireless Keyboard/Mouse... maybe Bluetooth?

I love this Retro machine!!! 😘 MUAKS!!!! KISS THIS MACHINE!!

Reply 3 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beware of running that amount of ram. A lot of p1 boards can not cache more than 64mb and will be a lot slower with more than 64mb ram. 64mb should be enough anyway for a mmx.
sync. dram means sdram.... using sdram and edo together is not recommended, Good Sdram is faster and should be used alone with tighter timings in bios.

If you want max performance try and see if there is a 75mhz fsb setting on the board. If thatsetting can be used stable the cpu may work at 3,5x 75mhz = 262mz

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:
:lol: :blush: :blush: :lol: :lol: :cool: […]
Show full quote

🤣 😊 😊 🤣 🤣 😎

Okay.. I just tested this.. But I just couldn't help it, because I explode in JOY!
I JUST had to SHARE...

Although I haven't do a full testing yet... but it works like a regular USB port! 😉
I never knew such an ancient Pentium 1 motherboard, with 2 limited USB board, will work with today's modern USB Wireless Keyboard/Mouse... maybe Bluetooth?

Are you using a 7 port extender with it's own power supply? Otherwise you can pull too much current from the old slots and that can give problems or even port failure.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 9, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

Beware of running that amount of ram. A lot of p1 boards can not cache more than 64mb and will be a lot slower with more than 64mb ram. 64mb should be enough anyway for a mmx.
sync. dram means sdram.... using sdram and edo together is not recommended, Good Sdram is faster and should be used alone with tighter timings in bios.

If you want max performance try and see if there is a 75mhz fsb setting on the board. If thatsetting can be used stable the cpu may work at 3,5x 75mhz = 262mz

@@ hmm.. So you are saying... I can safely take out all the EDO ram that are in place... (4 EDO RAM slots in total, each has 32MB... if im not mistaken)
and use only 2 SDcard slot... which I have 64MB SD card in each slot.....?
or put only 1 SDcard 64MB is sufficient?
Also.. I'm running WinXP and also would love to play MechWarrior 2 MSDOS....
so... XP runs minimum 128MB ram and Mechwarrior 2 MSDOS, requires EDO ram? No? 😅
Enlighten me.

meljor wrote:
Panties wrote:
:lol: :blush: :blush: :lol: :lol: :cool: […]
Show full quote

🤣 😊 😊 🤣 🤣 😎

I JUST had to SHARE...

Are you using a 7 port extender with it's own power supply? Otherwise you can pull too much current from the old slots and that can give problems or even port failure.

Naa.. it is own power supply/adapter. Won't wanna draw too much USB power from that port alone though.. not wise.. =)

Reply 6 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The VIA VP1/VPX chipset only supports 6 memory banks. It's possible that at least one of your SDRAM is a dual bank stick so the total number of memory banks exceed the chipset's addressing capability.
Also please don't call SDRAM "SD cards". It's really confusing.

Reply 7 of 9, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

The VIA VP1/VPX chipset only supports 6 memory banks. It's possible that at least one of your SDRAM is a dual bank stick so the total number of memory banks exceed the chipset's addressing capability.
Also please don't call SDRAM "SD cards". It's really confusing.

HI,
Oh sorry.. yea.. SDRAM... @@ Typo error there... My bad! thanks for pointing it out for me. 😲

Well, should I remove all EDO RAM and live with SD RAM? or vice versa? 😢
The lowest SD RAM memory stick I have, is 64MB.... I dont have a 32MB SD RAM..
Also... the no matter how big SD RAM (say 512MB in one memory stick), it will only read 32MB SD RAM..
so, putting 64MB SD RAM memory stick and 256 SD RAM memory stick (for example, exclude the EDO RAM), will give me 32MB SDRAM + 32MB SDRAM =64MB SD RAM in MAx.
it will not read beyond 32MB SDRAM in each stick.. it just limits there...

I can understand that.. but, if i remove all my EDO RAM, and only live by SD RAM, will 64MB SD RAM, sufficient for Win XP? will it be too fast for Mechwarrior 2 MSDOS? 😕

Reply 8 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might help if you could find a newer bios. 64MB is kinda too shabby for XP.
PM-8600 came in three versions. The early one (Rev. 2.x) uses VP1 chipset (VT82C585VP + VT82C586 chips), and the later ones (Rev. 5.5, 6.0) use VPX chipset (VT82C585VPX + VT82C586B chips). The VPX chip has two more address lines for SDRAM so in theory it has better support for larger SDRAMs, but I am not sure if it's related to your issue.

Reply 9 of 9, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

It might help if you could find a newer bios. 64MB is kinda too shabby for XP.
PM-8600 came in three versions. The early one (Rev. 2.x) uses VP1 chipset (VT82C585VP + VT82C586 chips), and the later ones (Rev. 5.5, 6.0) use VPX chipset (VT82C585VPX + VT82C586B chips). The VPX chip has two more address lines for SDRAM so in theory it has better support for larger SDRAMs, but I am not sure if it's related to your issue.

Hi...
Well, I am interested in flashing the BIOS..
but.. How would I know what/which chipset this motherboard is running?
And.. is there a third-party Windows XP tool/program, that could Auto-detect and flash for me?
I don't mind flashing under DOS.. I am more concern of the correct BIOS to place it in...

Anybody knows, what is the best approach for Flashing this old BAby?
I only have one... and I do appreciate some guidelines on this.... or suggestions...