VOGONS

First post, by Ultris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some time, I have been wanting a PIII-based PC with a universal AGP slot. Not thinking too much of it, I bought a Gateway Socket 370 motherboard without verifying PSU compatibility. I'm very well aware of the older Dell boards using a proprietary pinout for the ATX power connector. Do the Gateway motherboards also use their own proprietary power connector, and if so, does it use the same pinout as the Dell power supplies?

Looking at the picture, it's an Intel-based board for Gateway as an OEM. All I can find about it is that it's an Intel E139761 board with Gateway P/N: 2511832 A19243-404

I just want to make sure before I use the wrong power supply, that and so I can buy the right one. I already have a few of those Dell proprietary PSUs, but no proprietary Gateway ones (if they even exist).

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you give us some pics of the board?
Iirc many of the Intel boards of the time kinda had several "model numbers", one started with PDA or something?

And don't quote me on this, but afaicr Gateway did not use a proprietary power connector (please correct me if I'm wrong). Or at least not in that era.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should work with any standard ATX and uATX power supply. I have a Gateway Slot 1 WS440 board that uses standard ATX pinouts. If it used a proprietary power supply it would likely be keyed differently anyhow.

[EDIT]

Intel boards manufactured for OEMs started with "AA" I believe.

Reply 3 of 11, by Ultris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a picture of the board.

$_3-1.jpg
Filename
$_3-1.jpg
File size
383.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Brickpad wrote:

If it used a proprietary power supply it would likely be keyed differently anyhow.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the Dell PCs from around 1996 to 2000. They use the same plug but have a different pinout.

Reply 5 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ultris wrote:
Here is a picture of the board. […]
Show full quote

Here is a picture of the board.

$_3-1.jpg
Brickpad wrote:

If it used a proprietary power supply it would likely be keyed differently anyhow.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the Dell PCs from around 1996 to 2000. They use the same plug but have a different pinout.

Looks like an Intel D815EEA or similar.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny/annoying thing was Dell and Gateway both used almost identical Slot 1 motherboards, Gateway went with the ATX standard, Dell didn't.
I'd be 99% confident its standard ATX, wouldn't make sense for gateway to have to stock different PSU's

Reply 9 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ultris wrote:

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure.

yw 😀

Report spammers here!