VOGONS

First post, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes life is weird: I was watching some of the videos on Phil's Computer Lab while bashing my head against getting a few old games working on a modern box, and I mentioned out loud that I wished I still had my old 486 box. My roommate walked out of the room, went upstairs and started rooting around in something. Came back down a few minutes later and handed me a stack of boxes full of motherboards and old ISA and PCI cards. It was right about then that comments led me to VOGONS. Funny how things work.

So, out of all that, and some eBay acquisitions, I'm well on the way to having not one, but two retro rigs ready. Maybe a third, but that one can hardly be called "retro", and the effort would be blocked on a missing copy of Windows XP, anyway. (A Socket AM3 box with PCI-e is still thoroughly modern, in my book, even if it would struggle with the latest games)

The first one's going to be a 486:
Motherboard: Micronics JX30GC
CPU: AMD 5x86-133 (or maybe an unknown 486, DX2 or DX4 we think, if that doesn't work)
RAM: 4x16MB 60ns FPM
Graphics: VLB CL-GD5428 1MB
Sound: ISA SB AWE64 (CT4380)
Storage: 2x ATA-CF adapters, SanDisk Extreme CF cards (4GB and 32GB), ATAPI CD
Floppy: GOTEK emulator
NIC: ISA SMC Ultra 10BaseT

Second system, Super Socket 7:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-5AX
CPU: AMD K6-III+/500
RAM: 2x256MB PC133 (Cache problems with >128MB? How big of an issue is this?)
Graphics: Matrox G400MAX AGP (bad in DOS though?)
Sound: ISA SB AWE64 (CT4380)
Storage: SATA-PATA bridge to 120GB modern SSD and 32GB CF (PATA-CF adapter), ATAPI CD
Floppy: GOTEK emulator
NIC: Intel Pro/100 100BaseT
OS: Win98SE, Win2k, maybe BeOS, OS/2, NetBSD if I feel like tinkering with those.

Once I get all the parts in and get these up and purring, I can hopefully start playing some of my favorite old games once more! DOSBox has worked, mostly, but it's just not the same. Eventually I wanna get a Roland SC-55 and/or MT-32 to experience the classics the way they were meant to be, but that's a project for later.

Anyway, glad to have found a community that appreciates the classics, and I hope to be able to contribute some screenshots, photos and advice!

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 1 of 16, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see your location is Virginia also... 🤣 🤣

Were you the guy selling the boxed NEC MultiSpeed a few months ago on eBay? 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 2 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, apparently there's a few of us around 😀 I used to collect lots of old odd non-x86 gear, still have some of it.

I was not the seller, though, alas. I don't think I've sold anything on eBay since a batch of SGIs, Suns and Macs about five years ago.

Reply 3 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love it when a plan comes together. 😉

Best roommate EVER! Cheers, man. Keep us posted on your builds. And welcome to the forums 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard! 😁

You sure picked the right stuff jade_angel, I found the GA-5AX a pleasure to work with!
I wish I had gotten more of these back when they were still cheap.
The 512MB memory should work pretty much fine using your K6+ CPU, but imo 256MB should suffice.

I can't say much specific about your s3 rig, except maybe to ask you if your 16MB FPM are the ones with 8 chips (or maybe 9 if parity modules) or just 2 small thinner chips. I used 4x16MB FPM with 2 chips each FPM module and looking back these might actually have caused stability issues with my own DX4-100 build (never got around to actually swap modules and see if stability improved because of this).
There were also many SIMMs using fewer very large fat memory chips but whatever.

Perhaps 2x16MB FPM will suffice for your rig. Having too much memory might cause extra problems by themselves without giving you any real benefit.

How much cache does your 486 board have?

And you don't happen to be related to jade falcon by any chance? 😜

clueless1 wrote:

Best roommate EVER!

^This 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

I like the 486 set more so.

P.S I hope no one gets us mixed up. Are names are not the far apart.

Ahh I see you also already figured out how to add a custom avatar! Looks kinda familiar though, no idea why 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Welcome aboard! :D […]
Show full quote

Welcome aboard! 😁

You sure picked the right stuff jade_angel, I found the GA-5AX a pleasure to work with!
I wish I had gotten more of these back when they were still cheap.
The 512MB memory should work pretty much fine using your K6+ CPU, but imo 256MB should suffice.

I can't say much specific about your s3 rig, except maybe to ask you if your 16MB FPM are the ones with 8 chips (or maybe 9 if parity modules) or just 2 small thinner chips. I used 4x16MB FPM with 2 chips each FPM module and looking back these might actually have caused stability issues with my own DX4-100 build (never got around to actually swap modules and see if stability improved because of this).
There were also many SIMMs using fewer very large fat memory chips but whatever.

Perhaps 2x16MB FPM will suffice for your rig. Having too much memory might cause extra problems by themselves without giving you any real benefit.

How much cache does your 486 board have?

And you don't happen to be related to jade falcon by any chance? 😜

clueless1 wrote:

Best roommate EVER!

^This 🤣!

Thanks! No relation to Jade Falcon, no, and I hope the similarity won't cause undue confusion.

The 486 board has a full complement of cache chips, but I haven't gotten to fire it up yet beyond verifying that it POST-beeps (it does, with the 5x86 on it). I think it's 256k, but it might only be 128. Maybe I can google the actual SRAM chips. The RAM modules are 9-chip parity modules, and the manual says that the board needs parity RAM, so hopefully these work. If they don't, I have a line on some others I can try.

I'm certainly gonna bang on the memory extensively before doing anything heavyweight, but my thinking is this: unless there's some actual downside to having too much (and I know there can be, between cache issues, electrical loading, timings and the occasional game that freaks if it sees too much RAM, etc), go for the moon if you can afford it.

If it's stable, I wanna try bumping the FSB on the Socket 3 rig up to 40MHz - apparently the 5x86 at 160MHz is nearly the most skookum Socket 3 chip available that doesn't require tons of fiddling.

Reply 8 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You definitely did well People dream of getting a 486 VLB based system for a 1/2 decent price and you just get given one, nice!
And the SS7 is good all rounder

For the most part maxing out the ram wont cause any major problems, You'll just take a slight performance hit going beyond the cacheable limit.
Even still I max out all my PC's. I get that warm happy feeling knowing that its maxed out the hardware then benchmark results.

Look forward to seeing the systems up and running

Reply 9 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
jade_angel wrote:

Thanks! No relation to Jade Falcon, no, and I hope the similarity won't cause undue confusion.

If we keep different avatars I don't think there would be any problems. Your English is a lot better then mine witch will stand out on its own.

Reply 10 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 very nice systems, well done.

Just missing a VERY critical component in the super socket 7. It begins with a 3 and it ends with dfx 🤣

You don't even need to use it, it just needs to there. 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

2 very nice systems, well done.

Just missing a VERY critical component in the super socket 7. It begins with a 3 and it ends with dfx 🤣

You don't even need to use it, it just needs to there. 😎

Oh, if I could just find a Voodoo-anything for a price I'm willing to pay... The Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3 are kind of annoying in that they don't support 24-bit color, though. I suppose I still have enough PCI slots left to use a Voodoo2 with that G400. Of course I've still gotta find one.

Actually, what I'd like to put in it is a Quadro2 Pro plus a Voodoo2 for glide games, but I can't seem to find a Quadro2 Pro (or even a GeForce2 GTS) for a reasonable price, either.

Reply 12 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

its 32bit they don't support and I don't see it being a big deal. Not like most monitors can even display 16bit color

EDIT:
They sort up support 24bit, but its really 22bit.

Reply 13 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

its 32bit they don't support and I don't see it being a big deal. Not like most monitors can even display 16bit color

EDIT:
They sort up support 24bit, but its really 22bit.

Good point, and for gaming, going to 32-bit color is a big hit unless you had one of the more skookum GPUs of the day, so maybe no big loss. (OTOH, the Quadro2 Pro can probably handle 32-bit well.)

Well, heck, I can't rule out a Voodoo3 if I can find one for a reasonable price. I used to have two - an AGP one and a PCI, and I have no idea what ever happened to them. If only I'd had the space to keep all that stuff back in the day 🙁

Reply 14 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, update part the first: bogotissimo. The first AWE64 let out the magic smoke. I may be able to replace the blown caps. The second is fine, though. I really want an AWE64 in the SS7 machine, so I think I'll be sticking a Yamaha Audician32 in the 486. Gives me an excuse to check out the cool Dreamblaster boards, though. I'm not sure if I can justify the price premium for the X2 over the S1, but dang does it sound sweet, so it sure is tempting.

However, everything else seems to work so far, and amazingly, the RTC battery on the 486 board isn't dead. I have a new one ordered anyway, just to make double-sure, but that surprised me. Got the video up, the only issue before was a little corrosion on one pin that was easily removed. The 486 board has 256k of cache, which is the max listed in the manual, and it recognizes all 64MB of RAM without a problem. As soon as my GOTEK floopy drives get here, I'll memtest86+ it.

The K6, OTOH, is still waiting for a case and PSU to show up 😒

Reply 15 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happened to your first AWE64?

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I powered up the machine, heard a bang, but it didn't shut down. When I hunted for the blown cap, I found it, on the sound card. Not sure why that kablooied, there was nothing plugged into it. I did stick the K6 board's guts into the case, though, so that I could test out the second AWE64, and a Linux boot CD was able to find it and play some .oggs through it, so that card definitely at least works as an SB16. But, I'm waiting for the Yamaha to get here (tomorrow, I hope), and the second AWE is staying with the K6.