VOGONS

Those "New" AT Cases on EBay

Topic actions

First post, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive me, this may have already been asked before, but are those "new" full tower AT cases being sold on EBay modern reproductions or new old stock? Man they look nice, but way too expensive.... Just curious...

Reply 1 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'd have to ask the seller to be sure but I doubt they're reproductions - I haven't seen any repro AT cases being sold elsewhere.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 28, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gramcon wrote:

Forgive me, this may have already been asked before, but are those "new" full tower AT cases being sold on EBay modern reproductions or new old stock? Man they look nice, but way too expensive.... Just curious...

From my extensive experience (1 case - obtained free from a deceased estate) they are brand new, NOS - they have unused power supplies (build date around 1993 IIRC), and a full set of jumpers, standoffs, etc. and if it has a speed display, the settings for changing it. The brand seems to be Topower, so reasonably decent.

_DSC4035.JPG
Filename
_DSC4035.JPG
File size
4.87 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a couple of sellers with NOS AT cases. Both are asking outrageous prices. I think one $70US for the case + $80 shipping - INSANE. Love the case, but it's not worth it. Not even if it is NOS.

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 5 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if the $150 includes shipping, its actually not THAT bad. There are not a whole lot of other options besides finding one local, and 10 to one its not going to be NOS.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

if the $150 includes shipping, its actually not THAT bad. There are not a whole lot of other options besides finding one local, and 10 to one its not going to be NOS.

$70 for the case, and $80 shipping. I can't justify that. I've paid less than $35 shipping (with insurance coverage) for a complete system (case and internals only) totaling nearly 30lbs.

Reply 8 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is one of those topics that divides opinions 😀

I find the price fair to be honest. It's just one slice in the overall system cost, but you look at it every day, so it's a very important part of the experience.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

There are a couple of sellers with NOS AT cases. Both are asking outrageous prices. I think one $70US for the case + $80 shipping - INSANE. Love the case, but it's not worth it. Not even if it is NOS.

Er...that might be the original MSRP, and 80 bucks shipping sounds about right for a computer case, which is an oversize object (as long as it's not for snail mail).

Reply 10 of 28, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I find the price fair to be honest. It's just one slice in the overall system cost, but you look at it every day, so it's a very important part of the experience.

My 486 build cost me 150 USD, and this was no cheap build. DX4-100 @ 120mhz, Dual channel EIDE, AWE32, it's a really great system. If those cases cost 150 USD, it won't be a slice in the cost, it will double the cost.

Reply 11 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

^Agreed.

Many modern ATX cases are actually more expensive, save for the shipping cost perhaps.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

Just because such prices for RARE!!!!11/NOS/Boxed old products are common and we're getting used to them, it doesn't also mean that they're logical/fair.

Right now I so wish I hadn't thrown away all my old 1990s computer magazines a few years back, because if I showed you how crazily expensive old products were back in the day you would probably have a heart attack. 🤣

Oh, wait, I still have one...Pentium 60 on VLB board, 4 Mb RAM, 256 Kb cache, 420 Mb HDD + FDD (no CD-ROM), S3 VGA, HP Deskjet B&W printer, MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1...5800 Dutch guilders back in 1994, or approx. 9002 Dutch guilders corrected for inflation (hopefully I did that correctly), or approx. 4092 Euros. 😲

I don't think you would end up anywhere near that if you bought all those components NOS now.

Reply 14 of 28, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
luckybob wrote:

^Agreed.

Many modern ATX cases are actually more expensive, save for the shipping cost perhaps.

I can pick up a cheapie ATX case for 20-30 USD.

Reply 15 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Right now I so wish I hadn't thrown away all my old 1990s computer magazines a few years back, because if I showed you how crazily expensive old products were back in the day you would probably have a heart attack. 🤣

I'm sorry, I don't believe this example shows anything. The same system you described a year later would cost half, two years later 1/5, then it wouldn't even be available for sale, then anyone with a stock would try to sell it for a pizza and then it would get trashed as useless/invaluable. To what should we compare today's prices?

I know this has been discussed a lot and bottom line, for whatever reason those are the prices. This subject is endless and everyone has its own respected opinion of course. I personally can justify some prices, but not all (like a not-so-special case). For me 150euros seems a ridiculous amount, for others looks fair. Oh well, that's the real world 🤣

Reply 16 of 28, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

True...
To me it is too expensive, because you can find ATX cases that have mounting holes for AT boards.
I would say 35 top, is a reasonable price. That is however excluded shipping.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17 of 28, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
Right now I so wish I hadn't thrown away all my old 1990s computer magazines a few years back, because if I showed you how crazi […]
Show full quote
konc wrote:

Just because such prices for RARE!!!!11/NOS/Boxed old products are common and we're getting used to them, it doesn't also mean that they're logical/fair.

Oh, wait, I still have one...Pentium 60 on VLB board, 4 Mb RAM, 256 Kb cache, 420 Mb HDD + FDD (no CD-ROM), S3 VGA, HP Deskjet B&W printer, MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1...5800 Dutch guilders back in 1994, or approx. 9002 Dutch guilders corrected for inflation (hopefully I did that correctly), or approx. 4092 Euros. 😲

I don't think you would end up anywhere near that if you bought all those components NOS now.

True in some way.... Then the seller would have to have tested every single components on each PCB.
As we all know that parts break, plastic get brittle and all sort of issues like stuck platters in HDD's.
These components are just not new anymore. 1000, 2000 even 3000 euro for something old PC'ish?
They better have recapped, and tested every single part and component.

Reply 18 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
luckybob wrote:

^Agreed.

I can pick up a cheapie ATX case for 20-30 USD.

These cheap ATX cases are usually not build like tanks though. Even most €60 cases are pretty flimsy imo and the last cases I bought for roughly €30 each weren't even build in the proper dimensions (optical drives can barely be slid into the drive bays and the overall finish is cheapish in many regards).

I mean, they are never used, probably of reasonably good quality instead of being as thin as paper (except for maybe having razorsharp edges 🤣) and the space they occupied probably wasn't free also.

Now don't get me wrong. I can see where you're coming from, but I doubt these cases were actually more expensive when they were new (not sure about that though).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 28, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I mean, they are never used, probably of reasonably good quality instead of being as thin as paper (except for maybe having razorsharp edges 🤣) and the space they occupied probably wasn't free also.

When I worked as a system builder between late 2003 to early 2006. I was building roughly 85% to 90% of all PC's in flimsy low grade Codegen cases. They were horrible and did nothing for noise. Imagine a 3ghz Socket 478 or a Socket 775 P4 cooler without copper core, screaming inside one of those cases. 🤣

Just look at these....
https://www.google.dk/search?q=codegen+3307&c … iw=1366&bih=631

I bet they will become retro, and people actually looking after these shitty cases.