VOGONS

First post, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I've just got a Dual Pentium III motherboard with a compatible power supply taken from a Fujitsu Siemens Celsius 600 series system.
http://www.computerplanet.org/pdf/fjsi/celsiu … elsius640_e.pdf
I plan to use this board to build a Win 98SE system.

The motherboard itself seems to be missing one heatsink for the second cpu and a plcc chip.
Motherboard type is Fujitsu siemens S26361-D1160-A14-2

I'm not sure about the chip or the cpu hsf for that matter, because I can't find any photos of this motherboard on the net.
Memory modules are also missing ( except from an unpopulated module-jumper ) and I don't have any rimm ram modules around.

I'm wondering if anyone knows more about this motherboard.
I'm particularly interested if I need to find a suitable heatsink for the second cpu or that's normal and if that plcc chip should be there or not.

If the plcc chip (BIOS ? ) is indeed missing I suppose it renders the whole thing unusable until I find a suitable replacement..

The other thing I've done (and perhaps shouldn't) is tried to power the motherbard with another power supply that fit but then I noticed that the pinouts/colors may be different.

I hope I did not manage to fry anything.
Of course the motherboard does not power up even with its compatible psu because it has no memory.A red ( standby?) led comes on though.

All in all ,I don't know much about this thing and I'd appreciate some tips on how to get it running.

I believe the first thing to do is get some rimm ram..

I attached some pictures of the hardware in question.

Attachments

• type.jpg
    Filename
    type.jpg
    File size
    595.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • psu.jpg
    Filename
    psu.jpg
    File size
    618.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • slot1_2ndcpu.jpg
    Filename
    slot1_2ndcpu.jpg
    File size
    614.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • socket_.jpg
    Filename
    socket_.jpg
    File size
    674.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dual_cpu.jpg
    Filename
    dual_cpu.jpg
    File size
    611.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 14, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure the board has a second CPU? It looks like a dummy to me. The missing PLCC chip is most probably a BIOS chip but it might be a sound related chip, too (by looking at the position), but this has a very low probability.

I'm not sure if you already know it, but Windows 9x cannot utilize more than one CPU, you would need an NT based OS for that - NT 4.0, Windows 2000, etc.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 14, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh okay.Seemed to me that since it has two slots it may as well have a second cpu.😜

Pretty elaborate for a dummy cpu that board.Although by looking at it only has RC stuff no big ICs etc..
It probably is a terminator of some sort.
I didn't know that windows 9x can't utilize more than one CPU.

I'd really like to see a picture of that exact motherboard model to verify what this plcc chip is.

I googled the motherboard part number but no manual or any other info came up..

Reply 3 of 14, by M-HT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Go to this Fujitsu support site and in Peripheral Devices -> Motherboards -> D1160 you can find Drivers, BIOS, Documents, ... for the motherboard.
Also according to this page, the missing chip could be boot rom for the onboard lan-adapter.

Reply 4 of 14, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks M-HT I also looked on the fujitsu site for any info on the BIOS chip but no luck.Only bios update tools.

Then I've downloaded the technical manual for the motherboard but not much to see there.

Looking more closely at the motherboard I saw that there is a chip on the lower right with a sticker displaying V4.06 1.02.1160 so that's definitely a BIOS release.😀
I just need to get a pair of rdrams and should be good to go...!

Reply 5 of 14, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick note - win98 can only use on CPU - same for all games that can run well on a pentium III. If you want to take advantage of the 2nd cpu, you need to install win NT, 2000 or XP. Frankly you'd be better off with a tualatin build or some early socket A machine...

Reply 6 of 14, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah,but I don't think I've got dual CPU after all.
The bare board is just a terminator for the 2nd slot!

If I was on the hunt for a PIII machine I'd go Tualatin but just so happened to find this board and thought why not..

Is a GeForce 4 MX440 a good match for this?
I also have a TNT2 RIVA but it's in another machine at the moment..

Reply 7 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

spec sheet lists the max memory as 512 MB, but i920 should have a 1 GB limit. I wonder of 2x512 MB will work in this board. Luckily, there is plenty of Rambus memory on eBay and it is not all that expensive.

I recommend installing Win98SE then installing Win2000 on a seperate partition. If you install in that order, Win2000 should be able to automatically setup its boot loader to switch booting between W98 and W2k. However, if you do not plan to acquire the 2nd CPU for this board, then you just as well stick with W98.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 14, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The motherboard manual states that up to 1GB is supported so I could go there but it could get expensive.

I think I'll just get 2x256 RDRAM modules on eBay for now or give local ads a week to see if I get lucky.

With the unofficial SP for the Win98 I could go higher in memory but 2x512mb are more than double the price of 2x256 and I still haven't decided on a graphics card.
I have a lot of ISA sound cards but only SB Live! and Audigy 2ZS for PCI.

I also found an old Quantum Fireball 30gb that could be used.(if it's not too noisy)

Reply 10 of 14, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see a lot of ECC modules on eBay ,did the RDRAM motherboards had that feature by default?
I wonder if these would work with my motherboard since non-ECC are actually harder to find!

On the manual I don't see anywhere whether the motherboard supports ECC ram or not (but it states chip numbers by 8ths not 9ths)

Better stay on the safe safe and look for non-ECC

Attachments

Reply 11 of 14, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The GeForce4 MX 440 - or equivalently, the Quadro4 380 - would be a fine fit for this, I think. For audio, the Audigy2 ZS is a fine card, I think, but you might wanna see what the onboard audio is. Often they were ESS, Crystal or Ensoniq chips which aren't awful (but they're not stellar either). I can't clearly read the chip markings, but up near the rear edge there's something that might be a Crystal audio chip.

As for ECC, a lot of dualie boards, if not all, support ECC. Some demand it. Try to make double-sure before sinking much cash into RAM.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 13 of 14, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Windows 98 runs into problems with more than 512 MB of RAM, and there's really nothing you'd want to run in Windows 98 that would use that much RAM anyway.

You can safely use 1GB of ram on win98se. Half of my win98 machines have 1GB of ram. The real trouble starts when you go over 1GB or use a 1GB and a video card with a 256Mb framebuffer...

Reply 14 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you got it up and running yet?
Once you are I would recommend getting a 2nd CPU and running Windows 2000.
The 2nd CPU is only for coolness factor, really you wont notice much performance wise, but CPU's are cheap.
I only made the switch to Win2k last year or so rather then Win98 SE, and was surprised to see how much more stable it was and how many games ran fine. Plus it doesn't have any RAM issues at all.
For the few that don't, Namely Need for Speed I duel boot into Win98