VOGONS

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just showing the Celeron some love and attention from socket 370, slot 1, 478 to 775.

Help is much needed, Here's what I gather so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14AVnR … dit?usp=sharing

And as always Please be respectful and keep to the same layout that is set up, you can also add in other benchmarking programs as well. please be organized. If you feel that someones entry needs to be changed then comment below first

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More video cards where added, I think the celeron is still hungry even though its limited by the 2x AGP.

Reply 3 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eh not really, I just put that for just because.

Reply 4 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should the 533MHz celeron be this bad paired with a G450?

Reply 5 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Should the 533MHz celeron be this bad paired with a G450?

I don't really know about G450, Matrox at some point left the gamers 3D market and later GPUs may actually be worse compared to older GPUs.

The problem with the earliest Celeron is that even though the Mendocino (300MHz to 533MHz or so) were comparable to Pentium II and Katmai, later models had diminishing returns due to the limiting 66MHz FSB. When the Celeron 800 got released it went to 100MHz FSB. Coppermine was at 133MHz FSB and according to my own benching it was roughly 25% to 33% faster. I don't know about Coppermine 800 running on 100MHz FSB, but my guess is this Coppermine is also better due to it having 256KB cache compared to the 128KB the Celeron 800 had. It also seemed to have very similar power dissipation so a Coppermine 800 100MHz FSB is probably better in almost every way.

But I still liked my Celeron 800 rig 😀

You should bench all Celerons with the same graphics cards as much as you can so you can compare them more directly.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My celeron board started its life out as a compaq deskpro and I flashed it with an intel bios and ever since then when I check everest under chipset it lists 66 and 100FSB as supported speeds so maybe I can throw in higher celerons or even a p3, but I thought this board was only limited to celeron A's at 66FSB.

This is the only celeron I have, so im trying to see what video card pairs good with it.

Reply 7 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks for me much more like graphics benchmarks from your choice of benchmark programs than CPU benchmarks.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

My celeron board started its life out as a compaq deskpro and I flashed it with an intel bios and ever since then when I check everest under chipset it lists 66 and 100FSB as supported speeds so maybe I can throw in higher celerons or even a p3, but I thought this board was only limited to celeron A's at 66FSB.

This is the only celeron I have, so im trying to see what video card pairs good with it.

What board is your Compaq Deskpro system board exactly? And which chipset?
And pics would help 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 13, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The use of different GPU's makes your test setup unnecessarily complicated and the results being more or less uncomparable.

But thumbs up for the idea. I had an early Celeron 400 one time and really liked it back then.

Reply 10 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My bad its a compaq prosignia 320 motherboard stuff into a new case.

If you want other cpu benchmarks then add them. If want more celeron cpu's then add them I don't have many celerons.

Reply 11 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

My bad its a compaq prosignia 320 motherboard stuff into a new case.

If you want other cpu benchmarks then add them. If want more celeron cpu's then add them I don't have many celerons.

I googled the Compaq Prosignia 320 motherboard and ended up with this image
136339-001.jpg
Is the Compaq spare part 136339-001 your motherboard? Iirc any particular Compaq of that era may have used several different motherboards which were not the same, hence why I asked.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Same exact board and model