VOGONS

First post, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have moved the forum from PS/2 keyboard locks up after startup . Basically after a few minutes on my PC the PS/2 Mouse and keyboard stop working, especially if I'm playing video games. I have an Abit-BH6 and what I've noticed is that anything on the PS/2 ports freeze, suck as the mouse and keyboard, but USB works fine. I've tried combinations of different input devices (USB keyboard and PS/2 Mouse, for example) and only the PS/2 peripherals lock up (as in they freeze in the last action it was doing ) I guess I could buy a PCI USB card, but I don't want those PS/2 ports to go to waste 😀. I am running Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 6, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would suggest checking to see if there are any bulged capacitors on the Motherboard, it's VERY likely being an Abit.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vicxar27 wrote:

I have moved the forum from PS/2 keyboard locks up after startup . Basically after a few minutes on my PC the PS/2 Mouse and keyboard stop working, especially if I'm playing video games. I have an Abit-BH6 and what I've noticed is that anything on the PS/2 ports freeze, suck as the mouse and keyboard, but USB works fine. I've tried combinations of different input devices (USB keyboard and PS/2 Mouse, for example) and only the PS/2 peripherals lock up (as in they freeze in the last action it was doing ) I guess I could buy a PCI USB card, but I don't want those PS/2 ports to go to waste 😀. I am running Windows 98 SE

I have the exact same issue with my Biostar MB8433UUD-a socket 3 board. It works fine with a serial mouse, but using a PS2 mouse the machine will stop taking input altogether at one point, tough the game still runs fine.