VOGONS

Need a good old and noisy hdd.

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I want to upgrade the Hdd in my dos/9x box.

Something around 5-10gb.
Anyone have and advice? I really want a older more noisy hdd. I was thinking of something like a older maxtor or fireball.

But I don't know a lot about hdds from this time frame.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pick up a Quantum Bigfoot drive. I have a pair of 6gb models, one CY and one TX variant. They make pleasant thinking ticks and have a lovely hum from the massive platter spinning 😀 had a 12gb but it finally died.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or go SCSI

Or just test a couple of your old drives if you have any available and use one with somewhat bad bearings.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 42, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a Quantum Fireball CR 6.4GB that still works perfectly and makes the most *lovely* sounds. 🤣. It's the loudest hdd I have, even louder than my 1GB Seagate Medalist.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 42, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

I've got a Quantum Fireball CR 6.4GB that still works perfectly and makes the most *lovely* sounds. 🤣. It's the loudest hdd I have, even louder than my 1GB Seagate Medalist.

You're lucky! Those were the main reason Quantum is no more.

Reply 8 of 42, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Quantum Fireball 5 GB that's been chugging along just fine for eighteen years.

It makes a lot of noise, and sometimes I worry about it, but it just refuses to die. I only use it for DOS stuff since that's relatively low usage.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 42, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I had a worked with quite a few system with fireballs over the years. They tend to be hit or miss. Some last forever other dieded fast. Anyone have any tips on fireballs?

Reply 10 of 42, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps try a Fireball Plus? They are early 7200 RPM and based on Quantum's own SCSI drives (read: noisy and fast). The ~10GB ones shouldn't be hard to find.

Reply 11 of 42, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
I want to upgrade the Hdd in my dos/9x box. […]
Show full quote

I want to upgrade the Hdd in my dos/9x box.

Something around 5-10gb.
Anyone have and advice? I really want a older more noisy hdd. I was thinking of something like a older maxtor or fireball.

But I don't know a lot about hdds from this time frame.

Thanks.

Lol those Quantum Fireball. You neighbors knew when you were using your PC.

Reply 12 of 42, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a great site, with lots of neat historical insight on older hard drives. There are dedicated pages to many early Quantum drives. You probably want to focus on the years 1998-2000 for the scoop on 5-10GB drives you're looking for.
http://redhill.net.au/d/i.php

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

You're lucky! Those were the main reason Quantum is no more.

They are?

Then I must've been lucky my Quantum Fireball 6.4GB EX (at least I think it was an EX?) or so never died on me when I used it 😁

And those Fireballs always tended to be noisy I think? Drives started to get a lot more quiet at around 20GB or so, but results for 20GB drives can still vary a lot.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-01-16, 20:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 42, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kikenovic wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Lol those Quantum Fireball. You neighbors knew when you were using your PC.

From the user swearing about lost data or the high pitched sound from the drives spinning?

Reply 17 of 42, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

Only the 6.4GB IDE model is problematic

Given that the Fireball ST, SE, EX, CR, CX, and Plus KA families all had a 6.4GB version, it would be good to know which one it is that had problems.

FWIW, I have a EX 6.4 that still works fine (no bad sectors). The spindle noise is just annoying.

Reply 18 of 42, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
konc wrote:

Only the 6.4GB IDE model is problematic

Given that the Fireball ST, SE, EX, CR, CX, and Plus KA families all had a 6.4GB version, it would be good to know which one it is that had problems.

You’re right, let me say a bit more about what I thought was old news by now.

Quantum was using some Philips chip on their boards, which was recalled and replaced by a new version. At that time Quantum took a decision which defined its future: they did sell the already manufactured HDDs knowing that they had the problematic chip and only used the new one for new disks.

Models affected the most where the 6.4GB ST and EX, because those where the HDDs with that chip sold in larger quantities. All of those drives are guaranteed to fail (some of them spectacularly with the chip kind of exploding/melting -hence the "fireball" jokes, or less with the drive just refusing to spin up).

The thing is that you cannot strictly limit it to the aforementioned models. For example there were for sure some 3.2GB drives with that chip (who knows, maybe others as well?) and at the same time new 6.4GB EXs and STs were manufactured with the revised chip (no problems, that's probably why some drives still work).

This is what made people hesitant to put their trust on Quantum anymore. During the peak of the Quantum drives failing we didn’t know exactly the cause and the affected models. Even later we couldn’t even tell if a drive has the problematic or the revised chip. The truth is that the problem was isolated and not some serious mechanical/design flaw. Of course revised and later models were good, but Quantum’s approach being so secretive and denying turned out suicidal.

Heck, I was working for a PC OEM back then and I remember a specific period literally 9 out of 10 of a 6.4GB drives batch failing within a couple of months. Without knowing anything more at that time, we just stopped putting Quantum drives in our PCs, Quantum’s denial to give us an official excuse ended up damaging our brand/status. In fact we never sold another Quantum drive again, a bit later Maxtor bought it. I’m sure others acted in a similar way, signing Quantum’s gravestone.

Reply 19 of 42, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the background information! 😀

It's funny though, that we all collectively thought about hard disk drives from Quantum.

- When I read the title, my first thought was: "Quantum Bigfoot." 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//