VOGONS

First post, by plecoslugi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, recently I acquired a slot 1 motherboard but the retention module is missing from the slot. The Pentium 2 I have seems to stay put in the slot but i'm not too keen on leaving the CPU unsupported.
I have tried to locate a replacement module online but the prices are greater than just buying another board (due to shipping from USA).

If anyone knows where I could find a replacement set in the UK I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had one running for years without them, it's fine. My current p2b and p3b-f i do not use them as well.

If you want to secure it maybe do it with a ty-wrap, some hot glue or a drop of kit.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

I had one running for years without them, it's fine. My current p2b and p3b-f i do not use them as well.

If you want to secure it maybe do it with a ty-wrap, some hot glue or a drop of kit.

Same and same
Even towards the end of the slot 1 era when upgrading from a P2 to a 2nd hand P3 CPU was cheap and got you a few more years I saw zip ties being used.

Reply 4 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just like an AGP connector, The Slot 1 connector is a double row of contacts. The weight of the CPU heatsink or a kick to the computer case can bring it out of proper angle, causing loss of contact.
For temporary setups I don't bother. For something inside a case: I secure it, one way or the other. Not for fear of it falling out, but for the perpendicular angle.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

For temporary setups I don't bother. For something inside a case: I secure it, one way or the other. Not for fear of it falling out, but for the perpendicular angle.

This!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 6, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took parts of the retaining clips out of my system when I took the Pentium II processor out. The Pentium III doesn't have any mounts for those, but it uses the side slot retaining brackets. I kind of wish I had another bracket set, but I don't.

I just found a website where I can get one for $3 USD.
http://www.pccables.com/AMP_SLOT_1_CPU_RETAIN … S_SET_of_2.html

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png