VOGONS

First post, by spanner_man3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all
i just got this board from ebay
but theres one part missing from the board
in the manual it goes into the rn4 and rn3 its a 8 pin chip i think it is but on the board i have its missing in action
do any one knows where to buy it on ebay
all so the socket 3 the top is missing from the socket where you sit the cpu down is missing but the bottom half is there
any one know where to buy a socket 3 new

any one got Asus PVI-486SP3 for sale thanks

thanks very much for looking and your time A+ every one from australia

Attachments

• need to buy.jpg
    Filename
    need to buy.jpg
    File size
    132.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • missing cpu part.jpg
    Filename
    missing cpu part.jpg
    File size
    184.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • missing part.jpg
    Filename
    missing part.jpg
    File size
    55.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The missing part on your GA-5486AL is a resistor pack, sometimes called a resistor network. Mine has this information written on it:

Yageo
SB220J

You may be able to snap on the top from another socket 3 motherboard, but I find that the clips always break when removing the top slide. You may need to desoldering a socket 3 from another motherboard. I'm not sure if there are some new, old stock socket 3's that you can solder on. I think it is best to test out the motherboard to ensure everything works before going to that hassle.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 4, by spanner_man3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi thanks very much
is it the Thick Film Resistor Network A08-103 10Kohm 8 pin thanks
can i use
4308R-101-102LF - Bourns - Resistor Networks and Arrays 1K 8Pin Bussed

all so do you know the desoldering wire called
um you clean area that wont to take the chip off you heat the pins with the soldering iron
then you put the desoldering wire on it then u just pull of the chip like nothing
the solder stays hot for a very long time like 2 mins even more this make it easy to remove the chip or what ever your working on
but i haven't use it in a while forgot whats its call do you know what its called thanks mate AA++ very much so

Reply 3 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you are refering to solder wick. I prefer a solder sucker (pump) though. The solder wick comes in different thicknesses.

You need an SB220J or similar.

The SB signifies the type of resistor network, that is, how the resistors inside the pack are connected, usually a parallel circuit or an isolated circuit.

I believe the 'B' is of the isolated type, that is, there is a resistor between pins 1&2, another resistor between pins 3&4, another resistor between pins 5&6, etc. The parallel circuit type has all the resistors terminating at the same node, namely at pin 1.

The '220' is the resistance of each resistor in the pack. In this case, each resistor is 22 ohms (22 x 10^0)

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.