VOGONS

First post, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I pulled this board from a Dell Dimension XPS P133c last week, and cleaned it up. Unfortunately I cannot get it to power on, so there is no way I can identify this board using a BIOS string. Plugging in Intel AA-649849-602 into Google does not yield any information either. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Dell_AA649849-602.jpg
    Filename
    Dell_AA649849-602.jpg
    File size
    636.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given the era and Dell, I can pretty much guarantee that the power connector is not a standard ATX power pin out. I think you would have to find the original Dell manual somewhere to find the pinout for sure, or maybe someone else here has a resource for that information.

The brown slot above the CPU socket could be a voltage regulator module, which would be required to power the CPU, although given that it's Socket 5 (which doesn't have split I/O and core voltages), it is probably more likely that it's a cache module, so may not be required to boot.

Reply 2 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

Given the era and Dell, I can pretty much guarantee that the power connector is not a standard ATX power pin out. I think you would have to find the original Dell manual somewhere to find the pinout for sure, or maybe someone else here has a resource for that information.

The brown slot above the CPU socket could be a voltage regulator module, which would be required to power the CPU, although given that it's Socket 5 (which doesn't have split I/O and core voltages), it is probably more likely that it's a cache module, so may not be required to boot.

I was wondering if that may have been a proprietary power socket, although this is an Intel manufactured board. I mistakenly threw out the original PSU not thinking to check first. The brown slot you see is the COAST slot, and I have the giant cache card that goes with this board.

Reply 3 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RJDog wrote:

My guess would be it's a CoaSt slot. But will an unknown Dell there's no guaranteed way to tell 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
RJDog wrote:

My guess would be it's a CoaSt slot. But will an unknown Dell there's no guaranteed way to tell 😜

It was pulled from a Dell Dimension XPS P133C. I have the cache stick with me.

Last edited by Brickpad on 2017-01-20, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

I pulled this board from a Dell Dimension XPS P133c last week, and cleaned it up. Unfortunately I cannot get it to power on, so there is no way I can identify this board using a BIOS string. Plugging in Intel AA-649849-602 into Google does not yield any information either. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I have some PSUs from PIII Dells that seem to fit your board. Not 100 percent sure, though.

Reply 6 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

I have some PSUs from PIII Dells that seem to fit your board. Not 100 percent sure, though.

Thank you. I might take you up on that. There is one other thing however, I realized I forgotton to mention: there's a 3.3v connector on this board as well. I don't know if that is what is preventing the board from powering on, or if it truly is proprietary.

Reply 7 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

There is one other thing however, I realized I forgotton to mention: there's a 3.3v connector on this board as well. I don't know if that is what is preventing the board from powering on, or if it truly is proprietary.

I have seen that connector mostly on Intel/OEM boards with PCI slots, from Socket 3 up to Socket 5. This is what the manuals say about it:

PCI 3.3 VOLT CAPABILITIES To maintain strict compliance with the PCI specification, the baseboard provides a connector which can […]
Show full quote

PCI 3.3 VOLT CAPABILITIES
To maintain strict compliance with the PCI specification, the baseboard provides a connector which can be used to route
3.3 volt power to the PCI slots. The connector may be used with a separate 3.3 volt power supply or with a custom
designed voltage converter. Note: The on-board 3.3 volt regulator provides power for the CPU, PCIset and L2 cache
only, not the PCI slots.

I don't think it's necessary to use that connector, but who knows?

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the same connector on my Dell Slot 1 board. Think I forgot to attach it once and the system didn't power up but may be wrong about that.

The Dell PSU's were good quality but you can get adaptors if you want to use a standard ATX power supply as well and will have the 3.3v connector as well, or the pinout is well documented now if you want to make your own

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Convert-Dell-Mother … LF0SBWaP7J3Ynaw

Reply 9 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a dell socket 7 intel 430vx board with Coast module. It does indeed need a non standard atx psu with extra 6-pin connector for the board.

I have the original psu with it and it is this one: PS-5201-1D

This can be helpfull http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 11, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

Thank you. I might take you up on that. There is one other thing however, I realized I forgotton to mention: there's a 3.3v connector on this board as well. I don't know if that is what is preventing the board from powering on, or if it truly is proprietary.

Here are the connectors of my Dell PIII PSU. I suggest you purchase the ATX to DELL ATX converter if you haven't done so. Or, if you think my PSU would fit your motherboard and want a DELL PSU and are willing to cover the shipping cost, I am more than happy to send it to you. I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

Attachments

• WechatIMG9.jpeg
    Filename
    WechatIMG9.jpeg
    File size
    677.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • WechatIMG8.jpeg
    Filename
    WechatIMG8.jpeg
    File size
    637.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • WechatIMG7.jpeg
    Filename
    WechatIMG7.jpeg
    File size
    218.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the Intel Advanced/CM (Comanche) board. Apparently more than ten years ago someone pulled one from a Micron PC, although I couldn't find any info about it on the old Micron website. It's an odd board - AT style with ATX style power connectore.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices