VOGONS

First post, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am working on G486-evb with a am486 dx4-100 as you can tell by the title.
The cpu says its a 3 volt processeser but the only way i can get it to post is setting the board to 5v.
after further inspection, the jumper settings for voltage list 5v and 3.3v but everything connected to the jumpers for 3.3v are not populated...

When I turn on the board it lists the cpu as a dx2 100 no matter what jumper settings i change.

I'm Going to go under the assumption that I should not run the cpu at 5v for the risk of destroying the cpu.

That being said I also assume I should buy a new board if I want to run a 486 dx4-100 as all of them i have seen are 3.3v..

any thoughts will be helpful!
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DX2-66 vere the last chips without voltage markings on them (so 5V). Your BIOS likely does not know about DX4, that's why it's 3V section is not pupulated (voltage regulator should be missing as well).

Yes, you should hunt for a later board.

Reply 2 of 10, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply I thought that was the case.

I am pretty decent at electronics and had a crazy thought of populating the voltage regulator and the missing components around it.

Eh its probably not a good idea as I would not want to take the chance and mess up a working board.

Oh well thanks again!

Reply 4 of 10, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

schematics for a 24 year old motherboard.. That would be something to see!

I did some searching for them and found nothing.
I think I would have better luck finding another user with them populated, and having them sending me pictures.
maybe i will poke around the net for high res photos and get lucky...

thanks for the idea!

Reply 5 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe someone here has the same board with regulator? You never know...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GoXoD wrote:

I am pretty decent at electronics and had a crazy thought of populating the voltage regulator and the missing components around it.

I had the same thought for my 486-gio-vp. The voltage regulator part on a 486 is not very complicated.
Not sure it's worth as you can still get later boards with PCI & all that can drive an AMD 5x86. If you do need the top end, there's also socket 7. Plentiful and still much fun.

Reply 7 of 10, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya I have been staring at the board and I think All i need is a 3.3 fixed voltage reg and a 22uf tantalum cap for voltage smoothing.
I think I am going to pull the trigger and order the parts through digikey after looking at data sheets and tracing out the voltage circuit I'm pretty confident.

The main reason for this obsession is my first computer that I loved the most was a 486 dx4 100, and right now i am kind of budget restricted so i really can't order another motherboard to work with the dx4.
But I already have a super socket 7 with a amd k6 450! 😁

I am trying to build out every system that i grew up with, dos, win95/98, windows 2k, windows xp.. ect..

Reply 8 of 10, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update, I ordered the 3.3v reg and the 22uf cap it was outputting 4v for some odd reason.
I looked over the area and found two unpopulated resistor spots and it made me think I should have got an adjustable regulator not a fixed, so i tried a 5k ohm trimmer in that spot adjusted it and It is now reading 3.3141
Then I removed the trimmer checked the ohms and it was .014, So I grabbed a 0 ohm resistor dropped it in and were all good!! 3.3v for my cpu!

If anyone needs help with this / pictures just tell me.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nicely done! And pics are always welcome 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by vann5176

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey GoXod, any chance you could posts pics and a bit further explanation? I have the exact same 486 board and I was trying to get a 486DX4 100 working in it just like you. I didn't have one when I was a kid, but when I was still running a 386DX 33, I remember thinking that a 486DX4 100 must be SO FAST. When I got it, the board came with a 486DX2 66, but I knew I had to upgrade to the 486DX4 100.

I am not an electrical engineer. I do not know how to do circuit design. That being said, I know what a voltage regulator is and does. I know what tantalum caps are. I have recapped a number of game consoles successfully, so I'm hoping I can handle this.

I see there are a few spots where tantalum caps are missing, T1, T2 and P23. I see the open spot for a LT1085C voltage regulator. And I see the spot C97 where I'm guessing maybe you dropped in the 0 ohm resistor. Where did you install the tantalum cap? I'm guessing T2. And you mentioned you should have bought an adjustable regulator, but then with the 0 ohm resistor the voltage was outputting 3.3V as intended. Would you be willing to provide a recommended parts list?

One last question, where were you measuring to find the output was 4V rather than the expected 3.3V?

486board.jpg
Filename
486board.jpg
File size
245.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Voltage circuit
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception