VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So recently I switched my main DOS rig from a Triton-based motherboard to a SiS 530-based SS7. It performs great with my POD200MMX running at 250Mhz and TNT2 M64 PCI video card.

But the other day I was trying to benchmark my collection of PCI video cards and noted that most of my other PCI video cards do NOT work in this motherboard. 🙁

Here's the rundown of PCI graphics cards I've tried:
TNT2 M64 and Millennium II both work fine
NONE of my S3 cards work, including Trio64V+, Trio64 V2/DX, and Virge 325
Voodoo3 2000 does not work
ATI Rage GL does not work

Typically I get the VGA BIOS beep code with the cards. Sometimes, I'll just get no video signal, with no beep code.

I retested all of these cards in a 440BX and they all work fine. They all worked fine in my Triton motherboard the last time I checked too. I'm left thinking this SiS 530 chipset is just not very compatible with PCI video cards.

This motherboard has integrated SiS AGP graphics. I have the jumper set to disabled, which I confirmed works, because when enabled, TNT and Millennium II do not work.

There is a VGA IRQ jumper on the SiS and I tried enabled and disabled with the same results.

The BIOS has a PCI Bus Master setting for each slot--I've tried enabling and disabling with the same results.

I tried different PCI slots (there are three total) with the same results.

Has anyone else had a motherboard like this? Any other ideas of what I can try, or is it just crappy compatibility?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a little odd, considering these cards were pretty current when these boards were around and I've seen people use Voodoo3 cards with this chipset.

Which motherboard do you have specifically? Perhaps a BIOS update could fix this?

Reply 2 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

This is a little odd, considering these cards were pretty current when these boards were around and I've seen people use Voodoo3 cards with this chipset.

Which motherboard do you have specifically? Perhaps a BIOS update could fix this?

HP OEM Asus P5S-VM rev 2.02, from a Pavilion 6648c

I believe it's already on the latest BIOS.

edit: can't even find a BIOS for that board on HP's site. Think it's too old and they don't have them up anymore.

Reply 4 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! If that works, I gain K6-III+ support too. I've never flashed an OEM board with a non-OEM BIOS. Are you aware of any concerns?

Reply 5 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I honestly have no clue if it'll work. I'm guessing it won't allow you to even flash it if it's the wrong one.

If it is an OEM board though, why would it still be named ASUS P5S-VM, that's the part that makes no sense to me.

Reply 6 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

I honestly have no clue if it'll work. I'm guessing it won't allow you to even flash it if it's the wrong one.

If it is an OEM board though, why would it still be named ASUS P5S-VM, that's the part that makes no sense to me.

Board says P5S-VM (no Asus), but BIOS has HP-branding. Sounds like Asus sold the board (or just the design) to HP, who then did their own thing to it and rebranded it.

Not sure I'm going to try to flash, but I'll think about it awhile. Thanks again.

Reply 7 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks! If that works, I gain K6-III+ support too. I've never flashed an OEM board with a non-OEM BIOS. Are you aware of any concerns?

I previously had two P5S-VM OEMed for HP, with revisions 1.01 and 2.02, respectively. I flashed both of them with patched BIOS from http://compatlist.k6plus.com/ and they both work fine.
I used to have V3 PCI, bunch of S3 PCIs, and bunch of Rage PCIs, but I never thought of testing them on P5S-VM. I still have a SiS530 mobo, GA-5SMM, and I have some S3 Trios and T9680s coming, so I can tell you if I face the same problem once I have them.
Personally I am not a big fan of SiS530 because its inferior memory performance, so I didn't do much test on them when I had the chance.

Reply 8 of 13, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a ACER V97M SiS 530 motherboard from a OEM IBM machine. Currently using a Tseng ET6000 PCI card with no problems. Mine doesn't have a jumper to disable the on board graphics but they seem to co-exist without problems.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 9 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm. Trying to run AFLASH.EXE from Asus FTP site and I get "ERROR! Can't Find System BIOS' Hook." Googling that message seems to indicate faulty board, but I'm not convinced.

Any suggestions?

Edit: current BIOS is PhoenixBIOS, Core Version 4.06, BIOS Revision 1.10 12/22/99

Reply 10 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Hmm. Trying to run AFLASH.EXE from Asus FTP site and I get "ERROR! Can't Find System BIOS' Hook." Googling that message seems to indicate faulty board, but I'm not convinced.

Any suggestions?

Edit: current BIOS is PhoenixBIOS, Core Version 4.06, BIOS Revision 1.10 12/22/99

I can't remember if I had encountered the same error when I flashed mine, but I do remember hiccups in flashing BIOSes on old mobos. Here is the list of things I would do:
1) check if the aflash is ASUS-flash or Award-flash, and if it's released around the year of 2000. I'd try both Award and ASUS flashers released around that time.
2) try use the HP / Phoenix flasher extracted from here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/det … wItemId=pv465en
3) try use 3rd party tools like flashrom and uniflash.
4) try hot-swap and flash it on another board with similar (2MBit, 5V, 32pin) BIOS.
5) flash it with a programmer, if you got one.
Please proceed at your own risk.

Reply 11 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, lazibayer. Good info. Much appreciated!

Reply 13 of 13, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

S3 Virge DX 4 MB and Asus P5S-VM HP branded, rev. 1.01 flashed to custom P5-99VM works great and the onboard gpu is disabled.

Re: ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!