VOGONS

Best Drivers for GeForce4 MX-440

Topic actions

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which is the best driver for Windows 98 and XP?

Reply 2 of 88, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the Forceware 45.23 drivers for everything on 98 SE. Best mix of compatibility with newer cards and older games.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 3 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sandi1987 why don't you run some benchmarks, test out some drivers and share your findings?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 88, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElementalChaos wrote:

I use the Forceware 45.23 drivers for everything on 98 SE. Best mix of compatibility with newer cards and older games.

Thanks. I have better score in 3DMark 2001 with 45.23. I had 93.71 and it's slower. What about Detonator drivers?

Reply 5 of 88, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

45.23 is branded as Detonator. For DirectX 8 and older games, 45.23 is usually very good. Newer drivers have problems with some old games. Newer than 56.64 has problems with some old motherboards too.

BTW, thread moved to Video.

Reply 7 of 88, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a ton of good stuff to pick from, depending a bit on your CPU. Serious Sam: The First/Second Encounter, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, No One Lives Forever, Thief II, Deus Ex, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, Rally Trophy, Rollcage Stage II, Screamer 4x4, etc.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 88, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did overclock my MX440, but I glued an 80mm fan to the heatsink.
When I removed it, it got pretty hot, and the performance gain is...worthless.
I would throw the MX440 to the garbage, and get the Ti4200. Same drivers, over triple the performance boost!
Remember that the MX440 is the today's equivalent to the GeForce 210, GT 710 and other worthless GPUs.

Oh, and use 45.23 as others said.

Reply 10 of 88, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrMateczko wrote:
I did overclock my MX440, but I glued an 80mm fan to the heatsink. When I removed it, it got pretty hot, and the performance gai […]
Show full quote

I did overclock my MX440, but I glued an 80mm fan to the heatsink.
When I removed it, it got pretty hot, and the performance gain is...worthless.
I would throw the MX440 to the garbage, and get the Ti4200. Same drivers, over triple the performance boost!
Remember that the MX440 is the today's equivalent to the GeForce 210, GT 710 and other worthless GPUs.

Oh, and use 45.23 as others said.

MX440 is far from worthless. Everything has its own niche.

If somethings value is determined only by its performance, then all retro parts should've been worthless.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 88, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're missing the point MrMateczko. Not all value is measured in money.

And don't be so certain about your prediction 30 years from now. It was only 10 years ago that Virge and Verité 2100 and BX was tossed into the bin by the handsfull and 15 years ago 486 computers were littering the streets and deemed nothing more than junk. Heck, even homeless people wouldn't touch the stuff 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce4 MX 440 is actually a decent card. Do stay away from the 420, that one usually has half the memory bandwidth and also be careful with SE versions. There are far more variations of these cheap cards than what you can find on wikis.

440 is a great substitute for a GeForce DDR and runs pretty much any Windows 98 game at 1280 x 1024 fluently.

Now the MX 460, that on is already harder to find. It can do 300+ FPS in Quake II at 1024 x 768 and was a short-lived card.

What's cool about these cards is that they are cheap and easy to find, just like Voodoo3 cards used to be a couple of years back.

Reply 14 of 88, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a GeForce2 with a modernized memory architecture and post processing, running at higher clocks, cut down to limit the resulting leap in power. MX440/MX440-8X/MX460 have a few less backward compatibility issues than faster cards; they can do manual texel alignment adjustments, which are missing from GeForce3, GeForce4 and later. Not bad cards for the right purposes.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 15 of 88, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, maybe you're all right then. I still haven't thrown away mine...I wanted to for real though.
And mine is the real MX440, DEV_0171. Can play NFS:MW 05 quite well on low settings, so maybe I was overreacting, I apologize 😀

Reply 16 of 88, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrMateczko wrote:

Retro parts are all good, if they will be valuable in 30 years from today...MX440 won't be.

Yeah, we know... Just like 640KB was the largest memory that anyone would have required for the next century, eh? 🤣

To say the truth, GF4 MX440 is from 2002 and they are more than good enough for anything till (and including) 2000-2001, which is marking the end of W9x era for most people, anyways. For W9x, this alone makes them very good alternatives to "real" GF4s, of which only advantage over "fake" GF4s mostly, is being even more overkill as a W9x GPU. 🤣

I know GF4 Ti and GF2 is "cooler", and yes I have one in my W9x build, but before that I was using an MX 440 and there was nothing I was lacking with it compared to a GF2 Ultra that I have now, or a Ti4200 and Ti 4600 that I also tried in the same machine.

Last edited by tayyare on 2017-01-25, 12:52. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 17 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All good 😁

Don't discount ATI, a Radeon 9200 / 9250 / LE can be quite decent and the drivers are very good.

Reply 18 of 88, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrMateczko wrote:

Well, maybe you're all right then. I still haven't thrown away mine...I wanted to for real though.
And mine is the real MX440, DEV_0171. Can play NFS:MW 05 quite well on low settings, so maybe I was overreacting, I apologize 😀

Apology accepted 😀

You wouldn't want to know all the stuff I've thrown out and later regretted 🤣! (386/486 combo board? 😵 )

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 88, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

Yeah, we know... Just like 640KB was the largest memory that anyone would have required for the next century, eh? 🤣

To say the truth, GF4 MX440 is from 2002 and they are more than good enough for anything till (and including) 2000-2001, which is marking the end of W9x era for most people, anyways. For W9x, this alone makes them very good alternatives to "real" GF4s, of which only advantage over "fake" GF4s mostly, is being even more overkill as a W9x GPU. 🤣

I know GF4 Ti and GF2 is "cooler", and yes I have one in my W9x build, but before that I was using an MX 440 and there was nothing I was lacking with it compared to a GF2 Ultra that I have now, or a Ti4200 and Ti 4600 that I also tried in the same machine.

Tbh, I've actually used a GF2MX to my satisfaction once or twice! 😁

Passive cooling, very low power requirement, why swap it for a TNT2 Ultra?

I do admit it was probably a 2MX-400, but I think even the GF2MX-200 isn't a worthless card in itself (but frankly I wouldn't pay like €5 for an untested card or something). I got a couple cheap from buying second hand rigs and by buying some very nice stuff, then searching what else same seller had for sale and then asked the seller to include the crappy stuff for hardly anything extra 😁
He got rid of his crap (all in a single package) and in return received nice good feedback and I got extra stuff for basically nothing and virtually no extra effort whatsoever 😁

Report spammers here!