VOGONS

First post, by rpz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here - hoping to get a bit of help.

Currently planning to build a Windows 98SE (and preferably DOS too) machine. Right now, I am hesitating to buy an Asrock K7NF2-RAID motherboard and hope somebody can give it a thumbs up or down.

Full specs here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/nvidia/k7nf2-raid/

Other notes:
- Athlon XP 3200 would be the CPU of choice
- I want to add a Voodoo 5 5500 (PCI)

Thank you,
rpz

Reply 1 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No experience with that board in particular but I do know Asrock boards of that era were pretty hit or miss. The features look good. Love the picture on the AsRock support site where dual channel is spelled incorrectly 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 8, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually nforce is not recommended for win9x around here if I remember right.
I've just got a KT133a basedboard with an ISA slot that I'd love to get to work. That's way more appropriate for a very highend 98/dos system.

Reply 3 of 8, by rpz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys - thanks for the replies.

I did a bit of searching here on the forum and as @elod mentions - it certainly seems that nforce is best fit for XP (and also can cause some issues if running it with a Voodoo card).

So I decided not to go for the Asrock! Nice spelling error! Haha @ODwilly

Instead I found this Intel board: Intel SE440BX-2

Full specs: http://www.primelec.com/intel-se440bx-2-mothe … 65#.WIo7XPkrIuU

What do you think? Works better?

Reply 4 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cant go wrong with an Intel BX board for simplicity, stability and compatibility.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just don't forget that Intel boards tended to be very inflexible when it comes to tweaking. Heck, they even made their boards not POST with certain (faster) processors, even though the boards would support them physically otherwise.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Just don't forget that Intel boards tended to be very inflexible when it comes to tweaking. Heck, they even made their boards not POST with certain (faster) processors, even though the boards would support them physically otherwise.

To get my Intel board to boot with Coppermine I downgraded the BIOS or else it just halted with an error message complaining about unsupported CPU. 😜

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 8, by rpz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Tetrium

Thanks for the heads up. I won't be doing much tweaking/overclocking and initially I will make it run on a 650 Mhz PIII. Maybe later I will try to get a Slot 1 > Socket 370 adapter and a Coppermine or Tualatin at 1 Ghz. As @Kamerat mentions, it shouldn't be much of a hassle as long as the BIOS is downgraded.

I live in Sweden and it makes it more difficult to get old hardware (at favorable prices), so I'll start with this and see where it leads 😀

I purchased a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (AGP) today and some memory, so currently the build looks like this:

MB: Intel SE440BX-2
CPU: PIII 650 Mhz
GPU: Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (APG)
Memory: 128MB

Planning to buy the YMF718-S for ISA/DOS audio and a SB Audigy 2 ZS for PCI/Windows 98 audio.

Chassis will come later once I've tested the build.

Regarding PSU - it shouldn't be a problem using a modern one, right? I prefer stability over going 100% retro on all parts.

Haven't decided on hard drives (or alternate hard drives e.g. SD cards) yet. Will look through PhilsComputerLab's videos and see. If you got any suggestions, let me know!

Thanks again guys

Reply 8 of 8, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rpz wrote:

Regarding PSU - it shouldn't be a problem using a modern one, right? I prefer stability over going 100% retro on all parts.

Haven't decided on hard drives (or alternate hard drives e.g. SD cards) yet. Will look through PhilsComputerLab's videos and see. If you got any suggestions, let me know!

Just buy a PSU online and return it if it does not work at maximum load.
Keep an eye on the +5V part, it should be 20A or above, I've seen power supplies with 16A which is pushing it...
I'm seeing the Seasonic S12II-520 for roughly 50-55 euros with VAT. Specced at 24A on 5V. Overkill yes, but it's a good, safe and proven PSU.

Crossload tests here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … Story2&reid=185
CL1 is the relevant part for anything below 12V oriented designs (basically anything with the P4 12V connector). 12V is a bit out of tolerance here (12V+5% is 12.6V), but I would not worry very much about it.