VOGONS

First post, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I bought myself a 486-pvt motherboard and a i486sx cpu. I need help with setting up jumpers for this 5 Volt CPU on this motherboard. The manual I found on FIC ftp says I need to set up CN6 jumpers, but there is no jumper header on my board, just bare contacts labeled as CN6.

Does anyone know if I can just solder jumper header to the contact pad and set jumpers as in the manual? I haven't tried to turn it on yet.

7O5ejUN.png

JeKLG6M.jpg

SKewpOz.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the nice photo of the VRM section.
Now back to your problem.
Just go with the settings specified for JCV. You have the regulator onboard (lucky you, I don't 😀 ) therefore it did not make sense to solder on the CN6 connectors. Also, the SX is a 5V CPU so you can't blow it up with wrong settings. You can confirm the settings with a multimeter when the system is on.

Reply 2 of 4, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:

Thanks for the nice photo of the VRM section.
Now back to your problem.
Just go with the settings specified for JCV. You have the regulator onboard (lucky you, I don't 😀 ) therefore it did not make sense to solder on the CN6 connectors. Also, the SX is a 5V CPU so you can't blow it up with wrong settings. You can confirm the settings with a multimeter when the system is on.

Thank you, this is very helpful! I didn't know this has an onboard regulator, good to know. Now it looks like this is a solid 486 board for 1991-1995 fun!

Reply 3 of 4, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexsydneynsw wrote:

Thank you, this is very helpful! I didn't know this has an onboard regulator, good to know. Now it looks like this is a solid 486 board for 1991-1995 fun!

Yes. It might or might not run a 5x86, probably depends on the BIOS version.
VLB stuff is also pretty hard to find, but they do pop up ocasionally. I payed a bit of a premium a couple of months ago for a PCI 486 board 😀