VOGONS

First post, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i have a compaq Presario 1675 parts machine from ebay which the seller said he pretty sure it will boot right up cause he cant test it cause no plug for it but dont get my hopes up. To fix my crack lid on mine or if it works i just use that and use mine for parts.

But the question is i also got a compaq 1692 which i bought new in 99 and 2 weeks ago it refused to boot.. It will power on but no display no beeps and it seems like it hangs cause even the cap light key doeisnt light up..

So went researching and found that it seems to be a common issue with these compaq Presario 1200-1600s that when the cmos battery goes to low asoon as you give it power from the ac adapter it can dry the bios chip making it not bootable anymore?

heres what the guy said i found on another forum.

This is a problem that has driven Presario 1200 owners nuts for the last 5 years...The problem is that the cmos bios chip develops an intermittent short, when powered up, the power/peripheral chip does an initial read of the cmos bios to determine its integrity. If the bios chips does not respond with the right bits, the laptop will not start. The solution is to replace the bios chip, an Atmel 49F002T, with either the same package (TSOP) or a PLCC package....See the entire horror story here, but the good stuff is about 3/4 of the way down:
http://www.ltcomputers.com/compaq.cfm This link doeisnt work anymore by the way..

While it is true that replacing the cmos batter may cure the problem, it is only a temporary fix because (I believe) that when the cmos battery falls below a certain voltage, spikes from the switching of the power supply and internal battery causes a breakdown of the junctions on some pins of the 49F002T (notably A10 and /OE). The article makes for interesting reading, and the solution emerged after about 1.7 years of complaining and investigating...but the solution didn't come from HP...infact, they stifled the efforts to provide a solution.
Good luck
John

But anyways the ebay seller said it sat for 10years with out any power.. So what i wanted to ask is should i just remove the old cmos battery before i even give it power when i get it till i can get a brand new battery for it? It doesn't hurt to run a board with out a cmos battery in it right?

Reply 1 of 13, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running a board without a CMOS battery just resets the BIOS settings and time and date settings. On some 386/486-era boards with RTC modules it'd make the board refuse to boot when the battery died but most boards after that just yell at you because the CMOS gets cleared and time and date settings are lost.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 2 of 13, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks:) I guess it would be better to remove it before even trying to power it up just to be safe. Still not sure if its 100% true the battery will zap the bios chip on these laptops.. cant find anywhere else about it, But it does seem like it did happen with my 1692 cause that was a fully 100% working laptop never had a issue with it:( Removing it should prevent that zapping issue right? Or can it do it even with out it?

Weird thing the current 1675 that i also bought on ebay a month ago had a completely drain cmos battery and still does and it didn't do it to that.. Really its scary sense you never know one day these might just die out of no were...

Reply 3 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just FYI this is the archived version of the OP's link.
It's a long thread and admittedly I didn't read every sentence. What I learned from the thread is that the BIOS chip is not killed by the CMOS battery, but either main battery or DC power input after the CMOS battery went flat. Extremely likely the CMOS battery will outlive the main battery if the laptop is left uncharged, so I guess the internal battery would have a chance to kill the BIOS chip, and what I would like to make sure is to discard the main battery as soon as I got the laptop, and not ever plug in the power cord before I got the CMOS battery replaced.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2017-01-29, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gordesky1 wrote:

Wow thanks for finding that archived:) So its best to get the cmos battery replace asap when i get it instead of running it with out one?

That's my best knowledge so far.

Reply 8 of 13, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By just looking at the pins it will show some kind of damage? If so i will check my 1692 which im pretty sure has that issue, all it does is turns on even the fan will start up when the cpu gets warm but no post and even the cap lock key doesn't turn on the caps light hdd does make some noise tho. The current 1675 i got 2 weeks ago does have a drained cmos battery but has no issues but im going to get 2 battery's 1 for this and one for the one that's coming.

Reply 10 of 13, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gordesky1 wrote:

By just looking at the pins it will show some kind of damage? If so i will check my 1692 which im pretty sure has that issue, all it does is turns on even the fan will start up when the cpu gets warm but no post and even the cap lock key doesn't turn on the caps light hdd does make some noise tho. The current 1675 i got 2 weeks ago does have a drained cmos battery but has no issues but im going to get 2 battery's 1 for this and one for the one that's coming.

You need a multimeter to check the resistance between pin 31 and 32 of the BIOS chip. It's dead if it measures 0.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 13, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i just pulled out the cmos battery on my old 1692 that doeisnt turn on, I checked it with my meter and it reads 2.96volts... Does that mean the battery is still good? I know a few months ago when it powered on and worked it still kept time with no warnings.

The battery does say 98 on it so its old as the laptop but i think it might be still good. This really doeisnt sound great for these laptops tho cause if the cmos battery is still good what causes the no boot problem than....

Is it safe to put that battery in the laptop im getting sense they the same battery's? Haven't had the time to pick new ones up yet but if it reads 2.90s it still should be good? Laptop comes tomorrow the cmos battery might be good on that but im not chancing it cause it did sit 10years..

From looking up cmos battery's they ony provide power when no power going to the laptops or even desktops right? If so that makes sense why my 1692 battery is not dead cause i always powered it on from time to time and also the original laptop battery was always charge up and still works.

Reply 12 of 13, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K just got 2 new battery's for the 2 1675s. while they not cr1220s but they had cr1216s and i pop it in my current 1675 that has a dead cmos battery and it fits and keeps time so i guess you can use the 1216s too. They a little thinner but not by much and the mah is a bit lower at 55mah vs 75 but still should last years.

No luck for my 1692 tho probably is a bad bios chip or the mb just gave out. But owell that's what these 1675s are for to replace that laptop. Hopefully the one im getting later today fully works 🤣 Mainly bought it for the lcd casing and hinges but if it works i use that and use this current for a spare or parts machine when needed.

But yea im not really sure if it is true about a bad cmos battery causing the no post issue with the bios cause this 1675 had a dead one and is fine. Think the 1200-1600 series are just a hit and a miss you either get a good working one or a bad one.. Mine lasted 18 years than died 4 weeks ago when no power was going threw it.. Really has me stump..

shame too cause these are really nice working machines and is perfect for dos/win98 games. had to get another after mine died 🤣

Reply 13 of 13, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update got the 1675 from ebay in which was pretty much as is but i replaced the cmos battery first cause the first one was 100% drained checking with my volt meter. And push the power button and it booted right to win98 with out any problems!! Its in really good condition too. spent 30$ total on it. 12$ for laptop and 18 for shipping. He wanted 37$ and 18$ before but talked him down to 30$ shipped.

The 1600 series seems to be very rare to find compare to the 1200 series... Not sure how i found this one cause it was listed as a 1215us 1ghz 256mb ram seller made a mistake probably why it didn't get snatch up. These usely go for 50$+ seen a 1260 go for 70+ already.