VOGONS

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably a stupid question, but seeing as I am getting back into the era of board jumpers and what not. I was curious if it would be possible to change a chips multiplier (and other things like voltage) on the fly while the machine is running. My idea revolves around some mad scientist hodgepodged switch panel I could put into a drive bay or something and it would have toggle switches attached.

Using the long jumper cables I got off ebay, you could maybe wire up some weird mad scientist shit. Now I know from testing you can't just have two ends connected to the board headers. Even if they are independent once contact is made on both header pins, on the power header for instance, the board will fire up. So I suspect the CPU multiplier jumper would work the same way.

I have 0 electrical knowledge so I'm curious exactly how it is board headers work. I mean its a piece of metal, waiting for metal contact. But what is stopping you from soldering some wire onto the jumper and using that to close/open a circuit? How does the board know the difference between "this is a short pin" and "this is a short pin with a wire attached, but actually I see metal making contact on both pins so I'm gonna do some stuff".

Do board setting jumpers work slightly differently from the main headers like power, reset, etc. I mean the reset switch header seems like its an open circuit that implicitly requires a push button toggle to create a closed circuit. Are board setting jumpers perhaps the same way?

Is it possible to rig up anything at all that would be able to attach to board setting jumper pins, and activate different combinations?

Sorry if none of this makes sense. I have weird ideas sometimes 😢

Reply 1 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did experiments with ASUS P5A-B and K6-3+. The conclusion is: no. Changing multiplier jumper after boot doesn't make any difference. You can, however, run any software tool like setmul to change the multiplier after boot.
I also did similar experiments with Pentium Overdrive, which is supposed to run at 2.5x with fan and 1x without fan. Again it has no effect on the multiplier to remove or install the fan after boot.
Setting multiplier jumpers sends signals to the CPU. For Socket 5/7/SS7 CPUs the BF0, BF1, and later, BF2 pins receive such signal. Sometimes a CPU would ignore the input on one or more of these pins, thus we say it has locked multiplier.
In terms of electricity it's just a matter of high (Vio) and low (ground). Usually one BF jumper on the motherboard has 3 pins, one connected to Vio, one to ground, and the middle one to CPU. On boards with jumper headers you can leave those pins uncapped, or technically, float. In this case the choice is left for the CPU to decide.
I have done some search for "hidden" combinations in the past. Good luck and have fun!

Reply 4 of 9, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've changed multiplier on the fly connecting the turbo switch to a multiplier jumper with pentium and k6-2 processors. You need to reset the machine to change the speed though.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 6 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It won't work on the fly without a reset, but I wired up some mad scientist shit to select FSB and multiplier speed without opening the case on my P200 rig. Posted a summary and a few pics in another thread, if you're interested 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neco wrote:

Neat. I'll probably end up getting a K6-2+ or K6-3+ at some point when I purchase larger RAM.

If you just want some flexibility in CPU speed regardless of fixing FSB or not you might try manipulating FSB on the fly as well. I have manually pull/cap the FSB jumpers on a Pentium Overdrive and it works in Windows XP.

Reply 8 of 9, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. But it would have to be something wired up I could do outside the case somehow. I have limited space to work with and the tower will likely be going into a side of my desk compartment on the floor

Reply 9 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember that I wired the turbo button of my AT case to some little adapter that I made myself that allowed me to change FSB from 66 to 75MHz and vice-versa. I tried to wire the turbo led but unfortunately it didn't have enough power to make a lot of light. I may try to make a circuit where I would plug in a molex cable someday

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative